Author Topic: I am so lost!  (Read 4530 times)

Offline barbaramc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am so lost!
« on: Wednesday 03 October 12 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to all this, but found Roman Catholic ancestors James and Mary Anne Gregg in the 1901 and 1911 censuses.  They are listed as residents of a house 13 in Garrowhill (Drumlish, Longford) (1911)

Knowing that I needed to know the townlands etc, I found that they were in townland of Longford, Town of Drumlis, Civil parish of Longford and PLU of Killoe. (Wikipedia)

Now it seems I need the Catholic parishes to pursue any further, but I am sort of at my wits end and cannot find any resource, that makes sense to me, listing the religious parishes. 

Can anyone help?
Cullen
Gregg
McAuliffe
Salat
Cotter

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I am so lost!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 05:37 BST (UK) »
This might help you:

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/longfordrc.htm

Is it the town of Drumlish, rather than Drumlis?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
census links for reference :

Gregg household - 1911
  Gregg household - 1901

The family are living in the townland of Garrowhill, which is in the electoral district of Drumlish. The civil parish for this area is Clongesh.

see also :

Introduction to Irish Records
   My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Here’s a link showing what RC records exist for Clongesh parish, and where copies are held. (There are unlikely to be any earlier records). Records after the dates given should still be held by the parish.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Longford&parish=Clongish&churchid=155

Griffiths Valuation of Garrowhill in 1854 shows a number of Gregg families farming in that townland. There was Henry Gregg snr, Henry jnr, John Gregg, Ellen Gregg (Pat) & Ellen Gregg (James). The names in brackets are called agnomens. They were used where more than one person of the same name lived in the same townland. It was a way of distinguishing between them. In this case, the women were probably widows and the names might be their deceased husbands' names.
Elwyn

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:45 BST (UK) »
James Gregg Civil marriage reference in 1896; Mary Anne’s maiden name seems to have been also Gregg but a copy of this certificate will confirm

Gregg Birth References in Longford 1896 to 1911 that match to the children plus some additional names
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline barbaramc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 October 12 02:01 BST (UK) »
Blimey, Thank you soooo much!! You are wonderful and I will pursue your suggestions!!
Cullen
Gregg
McAuliffe
Salat
Cotter