Author Topic: Looking for the Kilpatrick's & Bell's of Ahoghill  (Read 4753 times)

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Kilpatrick's & Bell's of Ahoghill
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Good morning June. Yep, that's the one. I wonder if it's the same family that's found in the 1862 Griffith's Valuation? Do you think this a different family from ours?

I looked through Ancestry and Scotland people last night but was unable to locate Francis and his family in Scotland. When did they arrive in Scotland?

Also, what's your username on Ancestry? Is it a lock site?

Btw, the Bell/Kilpatrick family you mentioned earlier that left for New Jersey, that's my family line.

Thanks for all the replies.
Blair

Offline Lakota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Evening,
 The Francis Bell in the 1862 Griffiths is our line. I'm presuming the other Bells on the same page are related to Francis but I haven't spent time on researching them. There was  a William Bell in Ballylummin in the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census. I'm thinking he is the one in Francis's will. Also, prior to the Griffiths there was the Tithe App. which was done around 1823. There was a William Belle in Ballylummin at that time. I'm thinking that he may be Francis's father. I'm doing a lot of presuming here but that's kinda what you do until you prove other wise.
Since Francis died in Ireland I don't know if he was ever in Scotland. I know the Kilpatricks were there around the 1860"s and a couple of the other children of Francis.
My grandfather Hugh was the first in his family to be born in Scotland 1881. He had two older brothers and 1 sister born Ireland. There was a lot of going back and forth since Scotland and Ireland is in close proximity.
I just did a quick update on Ancestry as I had deleted my tree at one time. I really don't want to put all my info on there. You can find my tree under Bell Tree or my Dad's name John Love Bell born 1912 Dumbartonshire, Scotland.
I guess you would be a cousin to me through Mary Ann Bell's line. I hope you have been able to move on with your research with the Kilparticks. I do have a ton of Bells I could add.
Lang & Stevenson - Elderslie, Renfrew
Bell & McKeown - Ahoghill, Co. Antrim

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 January 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Good morning June, I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Mary Ann Bell is my 3rd great grand mother. Sure, any info you might want to share I would be happy to have.

I'm in California. My mom and her parents came out here back in the 50's from New Jersey. How long have you been in the U.S?

Yeah, no kidding. presumptions are all we have until we find proof. There's seems to be a decent amount on this family though. Good stuff! The search for the facts is definitely the fun part!

Ah, sorry, I mis-understood the previous post. So he stayed in Ireland and only a few of the kids left for Scotland. Got it.

I'll check out you tree on Ancestry this weekend. Also, anything you would like to share on the Bell's I would be happy to have. When will you be done with your book?

Talk to you later,
Blair

Offline Lakota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 January 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blair,
 I have lived in the US since 1967. I'm married and we have 5 children and 4 grand children. I have spent most of those years living here in South Dakota. After this last winter I think we will make plans for heading south to winter. Our oldest son lives in Modesto, Calif. I have only one sibling, my sister who still lives in Greenock and her family.

I have been working on my Bell book for... I can't remember how many years. So, I have no idea when I will finish. I spend a lot of time researching other peoples families. Mainly because I get bored of doing mine. I checked what info I have on Ancestry and it looks like I had deleted lots of my Bells. If you give me some time I will quick put them back on. I did reenter what I had on the Kilpatricks.
Have a good week :)
Lang & Stevenson - Elderslie, Renfrew
Bell & McKeown - Ahoghill, Co. Antrim

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 January 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hey June,

Interesting, what area of South Dakota? My grandmother on my father's side grew up in Spencer, NE. Swedish farmers...They used to visit a lake in South Dakota a lot by the name escapes me right now.

Modesto? wow! small world! I live in Tracy, Ca which is about 30 minutes West of Modesto...

For me, I'm married and have a son, 14 years old. I work at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Yeah, I actually stooped researching after hitting brick wall after brick wall. The Kilpatrick's and Bell's being a couple of them. Got frustrated and learned to playing guitar instead! Every so often though the obsession kicks in again when I find new info. The research is he best part. Also, stumbling across photos is fantastic. Speaking of, would you have any old photos you could share?

Sure, any info you would update on Ancestry would be great. Since talking with you I've been working on my tree again.

Have a nice weekend and stay warm!

Blair

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 January 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I forgot, I don't have my notes in front of me right now but during my research of the Bell's a few years back someone had mentioned that the Bell's were Protestants and that they had some document or newspaper clipping about Francis Bell preaching about the politics of the time. Have you heard any stories like this?

Thanks!
Blair