Author Topic: Lindsay & 58th (Rutlandshire) foot regiment  (Read 9699 times)

Offline pmrobbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsay & 58th (Rutlandshire) foot regiment
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 October 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
Cheers. That is most helpful I will request the information and see what happens.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi pmrobbo

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I see from Honora's death certificate, that there was a living daughter aged 42 years [bc 1851] ... so Alfred James had a younger sibling (also born in NZ).

On the link you gave in your initial posting - "Early Auckland Deaths" at the ouraucklandstuff website, there used to also be available, an "Early Auckland Births" listing.  Sadly the link seems no longer to be working.  But it is an excellent resource which contains early births (I think covering the wider Auckland region? ) - many of which were extracted from church records and don't necessarily appear on NZ BDM's site.

Are you in proximity to Auckland Library ?  If so, they have it in their catalogue as "Births Pertaining to Early Auckland :  Shirley E. KENDALL".

I have managed to find some information for the daughter at whose home, Honora LINDSAY, died.

~  Lu

Offline pmrobbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Cheers. Unfortunately I am based in Brisbane these days.  Just about to board a plane for Singapore, heading to a meeting in Nairobi. Won't be back in Auckland until late November.

Thank you for all the help. most appreciated.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
At the ancestry website, there is a "tree" which follows the line of Matilda BARCHARD (m. John TREWHELLA - 1877 at Auckland - and eventually moved to Australia).

[Marriage notice - PapersPast - "Thames Advertiser" - 25 January 1877 - page 2. ]

Matilda BARCHARD (b. 1855) was the daughter of Eliza LINDSAY and Alfred BARCHARD who married in Auckland in 1851*.

The tree has only limited details of Eliza LINDSAY's parents, but they are given as "Samuel LINDSAY (b. Ireland - d. Auckland ) and Honora O'CONNOR (b. Limerick, ... and oddly ? died at Limerick ? )".

*  Not sure whether you are a member of the NZ Society of Genealogists ?  ... they have details [in their NZSG Collection] of the 1851 Eliza LINDSAY / Alfred BARCHARD, marriage.
[Unfortunately, NZ BDM records prior to 1876 for deaths and 1881 for marriages, carry very little helpful info, and of course are rather expensive, so it's worth trying to find if others who have information from these sources, might be prepared to share it. ]  ;)
                                                          continues next >
  ~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi   ... our posts just crossed.   :)

That's okay  ... I'll continue to post the information I've gathered, (that way others may also be able to contribute further).   

Enjoy your trip -  (aah Singapore ... I breezed thru there last year ... nice airport.   :D )

Safe travels. 

~  Lu 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Deaths

1911 - BARCHARD - Eliza - 74 yrs   [bc 1837 ]

Eliza BARCHARD lived at Cook Street, Auckland and died there on 20 January 1911.   Brief death notice published in "Auckland Star" - 20 January 1911, which "promised" - funeral details later - (can't find them in that newspaper though. ? )  Eliza was buried at Waikaraka Cemetery.

Just in case you're interested, the obituary for Alfred BARCHARD appears in "Auckland Star" 5 September 1896 - Untitled - page 5.

The BARCHARD family also seem to have lived for a time in the Chancery Street area according to a report about a fire there in 1866.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
The 58th (Rutlanders) are said to have started arriving in NZ in April 1845 - prior to which they were in New South Wales.

The following birth appears in NSW records.
[It is possibly a church record (baptism perhaps ?) and the level of info it contains is unknown.  I'd imagine if the mother's maiden name was recorded, then it would show on the index listing ?  May be wrong though on that score ? ]

Birth

LINDSAY - Samuel

Year - 1844
Father:  Samuel        Mother:  Annorah   ["Hanora"  ? ]

Registered at Parramatta, NSW, AUS
Reg. #    V 18441233 28

---------------

Above may be Samuel LINDSAY d. 1848 - NZ  ?

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Just my thoughts on the death "5 June 1852 at Auckland - Samuel LINDSAY - aged 39 years".

Born about 1813, and close in age to Honora LINDSAY.

I do have a hunch that this is the Samuel you are seeking.

As "a Samuel LINDSAY" does not appear in the records of those soldiers who took their discharge in NZ, it seems probable that he was deceased by 1858 when the 58th Regiment departed NZ.
-----------

Hopefully there may be some helpful info in the record held at Archives NZ ?

~  Lu

Offline pmrobbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 October 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that insight. I was trying to work out if there were a possible connection between the wife of Samuel Lindsay being named as Ann Lindsay. Ann is also a name that appears in Samuels grandchildren generation. But then as you suggested. Honora - Hanora - Annorah -  Ann.