Author Topic: Birth Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany abt 1841  (Read 6870 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany abt 1841
« on: Thursday 04 October 12 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hello
Trying to trace my great grandfather's birth/baptismal in about 1841/2 in Schleswig-Holstein.

Have found from the Parish records of St. Luke's Church of England, Gulgong (Australia) that John Peters, a bachelor aged 30 years, born Schleswig Germany, aged 30 years was the child of John Peters and Julia Mannings when he married Jane Chandler on 23 Feb 1875.

When John died on 17 May 1928 his age shown as 81 years and name as 'Johannes Taugemann Peters known as John Peters.  His parents Johannes Peters, a 'builder' and mother Margaretha Manning which contradicts marriage info.

I also have a letter that John wrote (in old German that has been translated to English) on 19 July 1914, but it was never posted (feel because of the start of WW1) to his sister Julie/a.  In this he mentions that he will turn 73 next birthday and that in a week's time she, Julie/a, would celebrate her 70th.  Another clue he wrote ... 'That you return to the old house in Palmaelle ....'  Have had no luck in locating this place.

Any assistance would be great appreciated. Thanks Bonnie

Offline Brilau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany abt 1841
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 12 05:06 BST (UK) »
This could be the family in the 1845 census:

All persons in the household
Sydslesvig, , Husum-Bredstedt, 3. Quartier, , Osterende 33 und 34, 185.1, FT-1845

Name:   Age:   Marital status:   Occupation in household:   Occupation:   Birth place:
Johann Peters   40   Verheir.      Zimmermann   Schwabstedt, Amts Husum
Anna Peters, geb. Mannigs   40   Verheir.      Seine Frau   Uelvesbüll in Eiderstedt
Johannes Trautmann   4   Unverheir.      Sein Sohn   Husum
Margaretha Peters   1   Unverheir.      Seine Tochter   Husum
Carsten Thomsen   59   Unverheir.      Kostgänger   Kirchspiel Schwesing, Amts Husum

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform_uk.asp?sit=2

Brian

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 12 05:46 BST (UK) »
There is a Palmaelle (Street?) in Hamburg, Germany.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to barryd and Brilau your respond.

Sorry, even using google, I am unable to understand  the wording on the 1845 Census record, for the English translation from Danish/German?  as to what for Verhir, 'Zimmerman, Schwabsetdt etc etc  are ...
Thanks Bonnie

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
Verheir = Married
Unverheir = Unmarried
Zimmerman = Carpenter

Schwabstedt is the place he was born, in German. In Danish it is called Svavsted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwabstedt
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 October 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks all replies to my request looking for my ggf Johannes Traufmann Peters and feel that the 1845 census is certainly he and his family.

Another question, I am unable to find them on any further Danish census records so presume that the area where they were living came under Germany rule not long after.  Is there any way of tracking them on further German census records?

I have checked on the Family Search engine and nothing comes up with a birth/baptismal record for my grandfather.  How does one go about trying to find this information.

Thanks again. Bonnie

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Just to say a BIG thanks to KGarrad, Brilau and Barryd for without your help, I would never have found my g.great grandfather and my g.great grandmother birth and baptismal records. 

Can anyone assist with translation from old German to English?

Regards Bonnie

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
I think the German administration only took place from 1871 with Bismarck and the Prussians. The records may be back in Denmark, but they may still be held at Schleswig State archives. These are subject to German Privacy controls. I have yet to gain access to any of them! the Danish route is probably best but is still being developed by volunteers.
Some local researchers I tried charge real fees. e-Mail: hans-peter.voss[-- at --]t-online.de is one who holds registers of churches in North Elbe region based at Kiel. For parish records go directly to them, but try the website Pro-Genealogist for the article German Parish Registers - What Else is New? by Friedrich R. Wollmershäuser, Mar 1993. Nordelbische Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche website is in German but gives lists of all parishes then and now. Schleswig-Holsteinische Familienforschung e.V. website is also in German but may be useful.

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks your reply and sorry for my delay in acknowledging your message ... unfortunately I have had computer problems ...  hoping that this message will reach you.  Once problems are sorted, I will attempt to search data bases you suggested. Thanks again, Bonnie