Author Topic: Birth Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany abt 1841  (Read 6915 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany abt 1841
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 12 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Further thought - if you already know the parish church, local town or village, then I would email to see if they have a local historian; otherwise find out the name of the church and ask the church directly if they have an archivist who might look up their records. Best to send some money - they do not use PayPal of creditcard!
Are your ancestors in Dithmarschen? The Dithmarschen records (up to 1864) are already available on microfiche and microfilm through LDS Family History Centre, but other places also have them.
Happy Hunting.javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.postmodify.message);
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 January 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello
12+ months on, I have still not been able to locate my great grandfathers birth/baptismal record - though I have both his parents - nor his parents marriage registration.

Also, I am perplexed why I can't locate them on C1850 or later; the only one so far found is C1845.

Any suggestions on where I go from here much appreciated. Thanks Bonnie

Offline janam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 October 17 06:21 BST (UK) »
On a similar topic can anyone offer advice on how to find an ancestor who called himself Frederick Johnson in Australia, he gave his birthdate as 12/11/1847 born in Husum, Parents were Christian and Margaret Bensen. I believe he was in the Merchant Navy and he jumped ship in Australia.

Thank you

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 October 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi BonnieDownunder, there are a couple of routes worth persuing. One is still in development and I have not checked it myself for a little while. https://www.archion.de/ is a 'Portal' with access to an increasing number of church records most lately including some (not all) from Dithmarschen in S-H.
The other led me to Hamburg State Archives as so many migrated south for work etc. Personnenstandsregister, Staatsarchiv Hamburg, Personnenstandsregister are mostly available through Ancestry.com. Otherwise the Kirchenarchiv both at Pinneburg and at Wrist have comprehensive data. I'll look their addresses and get back to you later today.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 October 17 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi BonnieDownunder, Have checked my lists and suggest you might try Kreisarchiv Nordfriesland, (County Archive) Asmussenstraße 19, 25813 Husum; to Frau Ueck of kreisarchi(at)nordfriesland.de; tel 04841 8062104 or else 04841 8062101. Website: https://www.nordfriesland.de// - not in English.
I use Google translate; I write in both English and Google-German; I am very polite and business-like, and sometimes I get a reply.

For church archives try: http://www.archivnordkirche.de/index.php/Nordfriesland.html.
I ask for Baptism (taufen) confirmation (konfirmation), marriage (hieraten) as well as death (toten) records. They may also have family books - back then the church kept a record of all members in family groups; they may, they may not.
I notice their site is not in English, they have three possible contact people; there is no direct mention of a fee, but I always ask what it is (they never seem to want anything to do with Paypal, crefdit card or the like - cash, yes; but a back cheque otherwise. May be different in NordFriesland from my experiences in Dithmarschen and Altona and Hamburg.)

For Danish possibilities try Arkivet ved Dansk Centralbibliotek for Sydslesvig e.V. Norderstraße 59, 24939 Flensburg, addressed to "e Damen und Herren"  l(at)dcbib.dk. Same requests with same request for payment method; for same information but in Google-Danish.

Don't forget too that the revolting peasants were all stirred up in 1848, and from then on vast numbers took to the highways down to Hamburg, or the seaways to England and/or USA. There they may have changed their names or gave their last location as something vague such as Schleswig-Holstein. Peter Voss (http://hans-peter-voss.de/e/index.htm) reckons about 3 Million took off to escape conscription.
All the best

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 October 17 04:55 BST (UK) »
Voss also gives a good summary of why we cannot always find our ancestors.
Furthermore, I asked at the Staatsarchiv Schleswig why we could not find the Census paper, and was told that once the Danes or Prussians had the information (mainly to recruit young men for war) they needed, they threw them away, destroyed them, chucked them out.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 October 17 12:24 BST (UK) »

Also, I am perplexed why I can't locate them on C1850 or later; the only one so far found is C1845.

Hi

Here is what I found in the censuses. The 1870 census is not available unfortunately. These are the original records.

33 und 34:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?bsid=255181#255181,47723371

no 33:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?bsid=121515#121515,17499473

33:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?bsid=10618#10618,267681

Ian

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
The Kreisarchiv Nordfriesland, (County Archive) Asmussenstraße 19, 25813 Husum; have some records up to 1800 and then from 1875.

The church records between these 2 dates can be found on microfilm in the Kirchenkreisarchiv Nordfriesland.

Kirchenstr. 4
25821 Breklum
0049 4671 6029-306

http://www.nordfriesland-evangelisch.de/

Dave

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 October 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
I was in the archive yesterday doing some research of my own. Took the opportunity and had a look at the baptisms in 1841/42

Found this.

It´s very hard to read. Two people have had a shot at it with this result.

Kirchenbuch Husum 1842

Nr 15.

Johannes Taugemann Peters des Zimmermanns Johann Peters aus Husum ??  Margaretha Peters, geb Mannings ehel. Sohn

Gevattern
1 Herr Johannes Paulsen
2 Jacob ............
3 Jungfer Johanna Riesenberg
alle hierselbst
-------------------------------------
Johannes Taugemann Peters the carpenter Johann Peters from Husum ?? Margaretha Peters, nee Mannings legitimate Son

Godparents
1 Herr Johannes Paulsen
2 Jacob ............
3 Spinster Johanna Riesenberg
all local people from here

Hope this is of some help
Dave