Author Topic: 'Registrar attending' marriages, Pudsey  (Read 1835 times)

Offline CalverleyInfo

• RootsChat Extra
  • CalverleyInfo: transcribers always needed
    • View Profile
'Registrar attending' marriages, Pudsey
« on: Thursday 04 October 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
After being licensed to register them, marriages conducted and registered by non-conformist chapels in the Pudsey, Farsley, Calverley parishes are all to be found at Leeds Register Office. Unfortunately for many folk, those carried out in the chapels previous to this had a registrar attending and the entry would appear in the register of Marriages for that district as being conducted by the Register Office, which for the old Calverley Parish with Pudsey and Farsley, happens to be Bradford 1837-1891, then North Bierley 1892-1938.
All these records are at Bradford RO.
Now, I have come across one or two original early marriage certificates for a couple of non-conformist chapels and it has given me the hope that these marriages can be identified in the registers as having being conducted in non-conformist chapels. It's a big slice of the pie to have missing from our CalverleyInfo website and I wondered if anyone has any knowledge of how these marriages were written up or if anyone has attempted to get a certificate from Bradford for one of these marriages? Can they be extracted?
Gaunt, Webster, Ellis, Ward, Rayner of Pudsey

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Registrar attending' marriages, Pudsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
I'm used to a different area and mostly catholic marriages, but my understanding is that all marriage records and the certificates derived from them must state when and where the marriage took place.

This detailed information does not normally appear in either the national or local indexes so whether it could be extracted to form a list of such marriages for a particular place is unlikely at present, I would think.

However, if you request a certified copy for any particlar marriage it should contain the full information.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline CalverleyInfo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
That's pretty much what I thought. It's a shame.
Solution: Apply for a job at Bradford RO!

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Many non-conformist churches had their own register.  Thus while the ceremony was conducted in the presence of a registrar and the marriage would have been recorded in the registry office register there may be a second register.  Only the certificate will show the details of where the marriage was conducted.

How ever it is worth looking at whether the county record office holds any records of the non-conformist church.  If it does, as I said above there may ber seperate register.  However more fruitful will be the minutes of the church meeting.  For many churches e.g. Congregational or Baptist the church meeting will have formally approved any wedding taking place at its monthly meeting.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CalverleyInfo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
We have pretty much everything we can find for the non-conformist churches within our area of interest, including members books, sunday school lists etc, but we haven't found any minutes. As you say btf, they would be useful.