Author Topic: George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)  (Read 13572 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 October 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane. All of those details match up with what I have.

George's Civil Death record contains the following:

Name: George Haskett
Address: Cullina
Date of Death: 25 Aug 1882
Parish/District: Portroe
County: Tipperary
Denomination: Civil Record
Sex: Male
Informant (Relationship): Wife
Informant (Name) Anne Haskett
Informant (Address) Cullina

I have no idea where George is buried though, the record does not state the graveyard. Do you know of any likely graveyards in the area that would have been in use during that time period? I believe Anne also died in 1913. Her place of burial is unknown too.

Thanks,

David

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with any graveyards in that area - but one place to start a search would be the OSI maps.

see : RC  Chapel, Ballina Co. Tipperary  (c1890)

There does seem to be a graveyard adjacent to the church, but there could have been another outside the town. Ballina RC historic parish records dont include details of death/burials.

I think the placename recorded in that civil death cert is likely the townland of Cullenagh, which in the same civil parish as  Tountinna and Ballina town.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 October 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
That is certainly a possibility, thanks Shane.

Another might be templekelly (templehollow) graveyard a little further down the road in the Limerick direction). Now that I've identified 2 possible sites, I think I need to plan a road trip!

Offline wendyld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 March 14 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i am researching Margaret Haskett who is my great grandnother who was baptised in 1956 in the parish district Ballina in C. Tipperary. She also had an older brother William baptised 1846 in Tountinna.  I am wondering if there is any connection between george and my family.  margarets father was DAvid haskett bd 1801.  The family immigrated to ontario, canada sometime in the 1860's.
Margaret had a number of siblings.  William, johanna, james, Henry and Richard.  It appears that my great great grandmothers name would have been judy Commons.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

It looks very possible that we're related. What's the line from Margaret down to you? Just so I can compare it with my records? Did she marry Charles Wright?

Thanks,

David

Offline wendyld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sorry I didnt even give you my name.  It is Wendy Wright.  Yes Margaret married Charles Wright in Ontario, they moved to Chicago and then at some point ended up in Kuskanook, BC.  My grandfather is Horace Melville Wright, their son. How do we fit in together?

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Margaret's father, Big Davey Haskett, is my great great great grandfather. I have written a document about the Hasketts - if you send me a private message with your email address, I can send it to you. It's quite big though. I'm always looking to add to it, so if you wish, I could include your side of the family? Are you on facebook? There is a Haskett family group on there and on Geni.com too. Let me know if you would like me to add you.

Good to hear from you again.

Thanks,

David

Offline wendyld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »

Well I have to tell you. this is very exciting as i have only just started digging into my roots and here you are!! my email is wwbbooks@gmail.com.  David was my great great grandfather so it will be very interesting to see how it all fits.  I am not on facebook nor geni.com but maybe i just might have to take the plunge.   I live in British columbia in canada.  Where are you? And are you in contact with descendants in Ireland.?
I have it that David was born in county Clare. Is that what you have? many years ago I traveled through that county on my way to the Burren.  Who knew!
Thanks David.  I really appreciate this and am thrilled with your response.  Margaret and Charles are buried in Chicago and I am going to visit their grave this april.
I am totally seeing how addictive this can be.
Thanks  Wendy

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I'm part of the Haskett family that stayed in Ireland, currently living in County Cork. All of his sons and daughters emigrated, but one of his sons, George, stayed behind. It's all in the document - I'll email it to you now. Hope you enjoy it! I have linked with a lot of Haskett descendants in the US and Canada also and I am in contact with them on Geni and Facebook.

David was born in County Clare, which is where my father is from. There are still Hasketts living in Killaloe which is where David married his first wife.

I would love to get a picture of Margaret and Charles's grave if you wouldn't mind? Also, maybe some photos of your Dad and any of his siblings? Did your Dad serve in WW2?

Thanks,

David