Author Topic: James Ruddy married to Bridget Barrett (Srahgraddy Bangor)  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Gaillimh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ruddy married to Bridget Barrett (Srahgraddy Bangor)
« on: Friday 05 October 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has any info. On this family? They married in 1892. I'm looking to go back further if possible.  I know Bridget Barrett's parents were John Barrett and Anne ? (don't know maiden name). Beyond this I can't trace...I need James Ruddy's parents and further back and more info. on Bridget Barrett's parents and further back.Many thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Ruddy married to Bridget Barrett (Srahgraddy Bangor)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
a good place to start would be the marriage cert - should give you current residences for James and Bridget, and also their father's names and occupations.

There's a possible cross match to the details you mentioned in Belmullet district as follows :

Name: James Ruddy
  Registration district: Belmullet
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1892
  Volume : 4 / Page:   39

A Bridget Barrett is listed with the same references, so possible cross match...

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
1911 Census for reference - the townland is Srahgraddy, civil parish of Kilcommon, PLU/Registration District of Belmullet :

Ruddy household

and 1901, in the same townland with Bridget's parents :

Barrett/Ruddy household

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:01 BST (UK) »
based on Bridget's age on the census returns there are two possible matches for her birth in extracted records that might be worth checking out - see :

Bridget Barrett - births 1866 to 1871

If Bridget was born in the same general area as they appear in 1901/1911, then the birth with the mother's maiden surname of O Boyle, looks promising, as it's in the sub-district of Bangor, so probably related to the Electoral district of the same name mentioned on the census returns.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
There's a Barbara Barrett listed in the same townland on Griffith's Valuation dated 1855.... A possible relation to Bridget ?

See : Srahgraddy townland valuation

No sign of any Ruddy households in the townland at that time, but there are a number in the same civil parish :

see : Ruddy, Kilcommon civil parish, Co. Mayo

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline darty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:44 GMT (UK) »
My relations lived next door to the ruddy their name. Gallagher I got some info on them lok forward to hearing from you   Jill nee gallagher

Offline KarMa77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi James Ruddy and Bridget Barrett were my Great Grandparents, as you probably know James lived a good age. I do have his parents, but a bit vague beyond that due to lack of records. I do have some other info if you would like to PM. All Best

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 19:24 GMT (UK) »

Here's the link to the marriage (1891)-

Name: James Ruddy
Registration district: Belmullet
Event type: Marriage
Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1892
Volume : 4 / Page:   39

James Ruddy married Bridget Barrett - 14 April 1891 at Bangor Erris RC Church. James living at Glencullen [sic] townland, Bridget living at Shragraddy [sic] townland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1892/10627/5871677.pdf

Glencullin
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/erris/kilcommon/glenamoy/glencullin-lower/
Srahgraddy
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/erris/kilcommon/bangor/srahgraddy/

The OP hasn't been online here since October 2012 but If they have the same e-mail address they registered with and still have notifications for replies turned on, then they should receive an e-mail to tell them of your post.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »

Eldest child of James Ruddy/Bridget Barrett - John Ruddy born 21 April 1892 at Shragraddy.    #196
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02332/1872710.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo