Author Topic: Baillie James Ogilvie  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baillie James Ogilvie
« on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:54 BST (UK) »
James OGILVIE is my 7th x Great Grandfather.  According to a book entitled The Annals of Banff James OGILVIE was born in Dec 1647 and died on 5 July 1731 and was married to Margaret GREIG. 

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is researching this family. In particular there has been mention of a connection to the Earls of FINDLATER and I am interested in finding some sort of proof if in fact it exists.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Baillie James Ogilvie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris_t

From your post here http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/OGILVIE/2012-05/1336866845 you mentioned you found an entry in an edition of Burkes Landed Peerage which states 'Margaret dau. Of James Ogilvie, Baillie of Banff; of the Ogilvies, Earls of Seafield and Findlater'.

There is more general info around such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ogilvy,_4th_Earl_of_Findlater... however, this mentions a wife's name of Anne Dunbar, daughter of Sir William Dunbar, 1st Baronet, [married] in 1687.

www.findlater.org.uk/Earls.htm

The full text of the 'Annals of Banff is included here www.archive.org/stream/annalsbanff01cramgoog/annalsbanff01cramgoog_djvu.txt  Can't easily see a mention of a Margaret Greig in this.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I am not sure that this is what I said in my post.

However the entry from Burkes Landed Gentry, which I alluded to in a private email to a fellow researcher, which relates to a family by the name of PATON states:

"He m. Margaret, younger dau. of James Club, of Fraserburgh, by his wife, Isabella Ritchie (dau. of the Laird of Hatton of Forest, Baillie of Frazerburgh, by his wife Margaret, dau of James Ogilvie, Baillie of Banff; of the Ogilvies, Earls of Seafield and Findlater);"

This implies that James OGILVIE was related somehow to the Earls of Seafield and Findlater. I was curious as to what the connection could be and if anyone could add any further information about the family of Baillie James Ogilvie and his wife.

A book entitled "Family record of the name of Dingwall Fordyce in Aberdeenshire " provides the information that "Ritchie (Alexander) of Forrest, Writer and Town Clerk of Fraserburgh, was twice married,....... and secondly to Margaret Ogilvie, daughter of Baillie James Ogilvie and Margaret Greig his wife."

Further to this "History of Banff and familiar account of its inhabitants and belongings"
 By James Imlach provides the following additional information. "Here lie the ashes of James Ogilvie, Baillie in Banff, who was born December 1647, and died July 5th, 1731: and also his Margaret Greig, his spouse"

I apologise for getting the name of the book wrong and I hope that this clears up any confusion.

Christine

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
You have to be careful with books such as Burke's ones. Much in them is not very accurate. With a 15th century branch of my family, a grandfather and grandson with the same name are treated as the same person and the well attested generation between them is ignored. A 16th century aunt is given the wrong father etc.

What you could do is this: (1) look the family up in the on-line catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland and the National Register of Archives For Scotland (which you can access via the NAS site; (2) look in the Register of Deeds; (3) look in the Registers of Sasines for Banff and for Aberdeenshire; (4) look in the Spalding Club volumes of Aberdeenshire Sheriff Court records.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
[tr][/tr]
You have to be careful with books such as Burke's ones. Much in them is not very accurate. With a 15th century branch of my family, a grandfather and grandson with the same name are treated as the same person and the well attested generation between them is ignored. A 16th century aunt is given the wrong father etc

What you could do is this: (1) look the family up in the on-line catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland and the National Register of Archives For Scotland (which you can access via the NAS site; (2) look in the Register of Deeds; (3) look in the Registers of Sasines for Banff and for Aberdeenshire; (4) look in the Spalding Club volumes of Aberdeenshire Sheriff Court records.
[tr][/tr]

Thank you for your comments.  Yes I understand the need for caution.  Unfortunately I live in New Zealand and have limited resources so it is difficult for me to access these resources.

Offline maslen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Chris-t,

You might find that Baillie James Ogilvie was the second son of Walter Ogilvie (abt 1630-1698) of Ragall and his wife Anna Gordon of Arradoul.  This would give you the connection to the Ogilvies of Boyne.   Alistair and Henrietta Tayler published a book about the Boyne Ogilvies in 1933 (Aberdeen University Press)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Chris-t,

You might find that Baillie James Ogilvie was the second son of Walter Ogilvie (abt 1630-1698) of Ragall and his wife Anna Gordon of Arradoul.  This would give you the connection to the Ogilvies of Boyne.   Alistair and Henrietta Tayler published a book about the Boyne Ogilvies in 1933 (Aberdeen University Press)
Thank you. I will follow this up.