Author Topic: Mott Family in Noak Hill mid 1800s  (Read 1589 times)

Offline jigsawpuzzled2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mott Family in Noak Hill mid 1800s
« on: Monday 08 October 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Can any one help me with information about the Mott family who lived in Noak Hill from at least 1836 to 1851? Samuel Mott is listed as a farmer in the 1841 census and a number of Samuel's son John Mott's children were born in Noak Hill: Charlotte (1836), John (1838), Maria (1839), Mary Ann (1841), Emma (1843), William Hazel (1844), Elizabeth (1846), Herbert and Thomas (twins - 1848), Harriet (1850 - she possibly had a twin or younger brother Robert who was also born and died in 1850).  I have subsequent details on the family but was looking for confirmation of when and why they were in Noak Hill ( and any extra family members).

All help and guidance most appreciated - this is my first post

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Mott Family in Noak Hill mid 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Good morning JSP2 and welcome to Rootschat and the Essex board.

Samuel Mott was at Maling Farm employed as a farmer by the owners, the Neave's of Dagnam Park, in 1840. Maling/Malings farm is now known as Maylands Golf Course and is situated on the A12 betwixt Harold Hill & Brentwood.

In the Poor Rates Book dated 13th May 1840 for the Romford Parish (Noak Hill ward) Malings Farm consisted of 157 acres 3 roods and 35 perches. Samuel is there on the following dates 4th April 1844, 1st January 1846, 20th October 1848 and 29th June 1849 by 4th April 1850 he is not shown on the Poor Rates entry for that date as some one else is occupying the house and farm.

I will have a look through my files to see if I have anything else that may help you with your research.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jigsawpuzzled2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 03:04 BST (UK) »
Wow!

OR, thank you so much for that information!

After receiving it, I also found the Friends of Dagnam Park website and on there is a detailed description (with photos) of the Maylands Farm House from 1981 - the original parts of which must date back to the 1800s.

Is there any chance that there are baptism records in Noak Hill for Samuel's grandchildren (their parents were John Mott and  Mary (not sure of her maiden name)?

JSP2

Offline Scrabble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
The church in Noak Hill opened in 1842 so only the later children's baptisms might be there. SEAX doesn't have registers for Noak Hill online in fact no registers come up if you search for Noak Hill. however a google search revealed that ERO hold a duplicate register for Noak Hill under ref D/P 346/1/37 which seems to be listed under St Edward the Confessor, Romford (!?)

I think some people from Noak Hill used Navestock Church but I have a database of baps there and there are no MOTTs baptised there at that time. Another place nearby to try for the earlier baptisms might be South Weald.

Good luck with the hunt. Scrabble
APPLETON Harwich/Gravesend/Stepney
BRADLEY Bermondsey/Canning Town/Ilford, Essex
COLE/SALTWELL/DAVEY/MONK/RILEY/COPSEY/PAVET/BACON Navestock area Essex
CALLOW Dartford Kent/Deptford  RANDALL Greenwich/Deptford
DAVIS Ross/Stroud,Glos/West Ham, Essex
FENNING Gosbeck, Suffolk  WELCH Devon/Greenwich/Stanmore/Ipswich
PALMER Rotherhithe/Deptford/West Ham/Ilford
LANGDALE E London/Deptford  HERITAGE Rotherhithe/Bermondsey
VIZARD Bermondsey/Shoreditch  TURNER Liverpool/Chatham

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
Prior to St Thomas' Chapel of Ease opening in 1842 the local population, generally made up of farmers, ag labs and servants to the nearby estate of Dagnams would attend church services at either St Peter's Church South Weald, St John's Church Havering atte Bower or St Edward's in the market place Romford. I do not have copies of the baptism's that took place at St Thomas' but I have checked the burial's for the chapel which started in 1844 and have found no reference to any Mott's being buried in the grounds. Marriages at the chapel did not start until 1898 when the building was licensed for such ceremonies prior to this the three churches would have been used by those from Noak Hill.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jigsawpuzzled2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 12 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Old Rowley

Just wondering if there are any records of a family called Rokes in Noak Hill around the 1840s.  Samuel's son John Mott married Elizabeth Rokes at the Weald Church on 18/9/1834.

According to family stories, the Rokes daily lived "opposite" the Motts.

With thanks
Jigsawpuzzled2

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 12 09:31 GMT (UK) »
If you don't already have one, a subscription to the Essex Record Office SEAX site could be a great help as it gives you access to a huge collection of Essex Parish Registers online. They are not indexed on names, so you have to wade throught registers page by page just as you would with the originals, but I have found dozens of B/M/D records for my family that were not available anywhere else.

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Libraries-Archives/Record-Office/Pages/Using-Seax.aspx

I have no connection other than as an enthusiastic user of the facility.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 October 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Morning JSP2,

Rokes is not a name that I have come across before within the area and on checking the 1841 census for Noak Hill I can not see any family by that name mentioned nor can I find anyone with that surname in the Poor Rate Books for 1840 -1850. Sorry I can not help on this one.

OR

Offline jigsawpuzzled2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 October 12 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike and OR

It maybe that the Rokes family were in Weald/Brentwood rather than Noak Hill and opposite another farm that was connected with the Mott family at about the same time.

Fortunately I have the BDM details for both Mott and Rokes families - I am now just trying to make sense of some of the little annotations made by my grandmother

JSP2