Author Topic: Thomas and Ann Agate of Cowfold  (Read 4491 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas and Ann Agate of Cowfold
« on: Monday 08 October 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have this couple in their tree? 

I have Sarah Agate baptised at Cowfold on 28 April 1789 with siblings:
Thomas 1781, Ann 1785, Mary 1787 and James 1793 all to Thomas and Ann at Cowfold.

This appears to be their marriage on 20 April 1780 at Beeding (presumably Upper)
Marriage licence - Thomas Agate, bachelor and farmer of Cowfold, Ann Miles, spinster of Beeding
sponsors: TA, Peirce Miles, Beeding, Yeoman.

Possible burials for them:
Thomas Agates buried at Bolney on 8 August 1804, age 59 years - so born 1745

Ann Agate buried at Bolney on 19 January 1842, age 84 years - so born 1758

That is as far as I can get, despite extensive searching on the SFHG database I cannot find a baptism for Thomas, there are some possibilities for Ann but nothing I can pin down.

I thought that Pierce Miles might be a clue and found the following:
Percival Miles married Ann West on 3 June 1754 at Nuthurst.

Pierce Miles was buried at Nuthurst on 11 April 1806 (of Cowfold) 81 years so born 1725.  This must be the same chap but that were the only two records I could find for him, no baptisms with him as a father. 

Piercey Milles baptised 18 April 1762 at Nuthurst to Thomas and Elizabeth.

I did Google searches but there is nothing concrete, just a few mentions of a Thomas Agate having an illegitimate child in 1771 with an Elizabeth Walder, but I don't think it is the same Thomas Agate.  I could be wrong but the various mentions on websites are all very mixed up including a marriage for Thomas and Elizabeth but Elizabeth clearly died as Walder in Bolney and long after Thomas married Ann and a mention that Thomas was born 1705 and so was nearly 70 when he fathered Elizabeth's child and would have been when he married Ann and they had their children and so I am ignoring most of it.

Does anyone have this family in their tree or can suggest any other help.

Thanks

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Ann Agate of Cowfold
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

There are a number of references about Thomas Agate in the 'Mid-Sussex Poor Law records'. Two of them dated 1787 and 1795 refer to people who used to be employed by him. The third record is for the Bastardy Bond 25 May 1771 you mentioned which specifically talks about Thomas Agate of Cowfold Farmer, so it could well be your chap.
Seem to be a large number of Thomas Agate, Yeoman references in the area before 1745, so maybe that  would be part of the family.
There is also a lot of Agate activity in Warnham which is not that far away from Cowfold, here is a link to a family tree from that area, doesn't really help with your problem but may at a later date.
http://www.warnhamsociety.org.uk/History/Appendix%20XII.pdf
I also keep seeing references to Agates being part of the baptist church so maybe that is why you cannot find a baptism.

Not much help I am afraid Kerry.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
Just looked at a search for Thomas Agate in the non-conformist records and it might be worth buying some credits Kerry.
http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/bmdr/results.php?fn=thomas&sn=agate&exact=no&event=All&all=1&all_set=1&st=s

The 1756 Thomas has parents John & Elizabeth.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Swebby

Now that's interesting.  I am so used to using the SFHG database these days I forget about the non conformist records, I'll check them out.  That may also answer why I can't Ann Miles and Percival Miles.  It might not but it might, if you see what I mean!

Worth trying anyway!  Thank you

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 May 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
Just revisiting this one incase anyone else has this family in the tree

I think I have found the baptism for Ann Miles - 16 October 1757 to a Thomas and Elizabeth at Nuthurst.  This is not far from Cowfold and they appear to be the same couple that had the Piercey Miles in 1762 as mentioned above.  So Ann's brother.

Don't believe Thomas Agate is the son of John and Elizabeth of Warnham as according to the tree that Swebby posted link to, he married an Elizabeth Wood and they lived in Horsham.

Kerry :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 May 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
It would also appear that Thomas Miles married Elizabeth West at Nuthurst in 1753.  These would appear to be the parents of Ann Miles and so I think Thomas was the brother of Percival Miles who married Ann West in Nuthurst in 1754.

Thomas and Elizabeth presumably named their son after Thomas's brother.

Kerry

Offline st_vincent77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Kerry and Swebby, for this information. I'm a Vincent (we know how the Vincents tie into the Agate line), but Father married a Miles (although my Mom's family is from London). When we saw there was a Miles on the Vincent line, we were quite excited, but we never quite knew how she got there or where she came from.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi St Vincent

I'm still working on this line although haven't got very far lately.  It have Thomas baptised in 1724 in Nuthurst to Thomas and Mary and have his siblings.  I think the last time I looked I was trying to pin his parents down.  Maybe one day soon I will get chance to pick this line up again and have another look.  Where did your Vincents come from?

Kerryb

Offline st_vincent77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 February 16 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Cowfold, Keymer, and Cuckfield, depending on the generation. I lived in Cuckfield for a while in the 1990s, but I live in Arizona now.