Author Topic: Fletchers Auldearn/Nairn  (Read 4051 times)

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fletchers Auldearn/Nairn
« on: Monday 08 October 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking for descendents of James FLETCHER and Elspet CUMYNG who married in Auldearn 16 Oct 1772. They had a son John born 22 Sep 1779 who I believe is my gt gt gt gt grandfather.

My John FLETCHER joined the Royal Artillery in 1793, attesting at Fort George. He told them he was 17, but he would have only been 14 at the time. He left Scotland not long after this and spent time moving between Woolwich and Portsmouth. He married in St Thomas, Portsmouth 24 Oct 1799 to a Sarah BENNET, the daughter of John BENNET, also RA, who I believe came from Keith, Banffshire.

My gt gt gt grandmother Elizabeth FLETCHER was born c 1801 probably in Portsmouth. Her father was sent overseas to serve in the Carribean and died on Anitgua in 1808.

James and Elspet had four sons but only one appears on the 1841 census, Simon the youngest. It is possible all three of the older sons joined the military. Auldearn kept a death register and so far there is no sign of them dying in Narinshire.

Would love to hear from anyone associated with the family.

Denise

Offline dgraciebrown1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fletchers Auldearn/Nairn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Denise,
James Fletcher and Elspet Cumyng or Cumming are my 4th Great Grandparents and Simon their son is my 3rd Great Grandfather. Simon was born 22 May 1784 in Nairn and died 17 Aug 1864 at Park Street, Nairn.  Simon married Margaret McKay born 30 Jan 1796 Nairn and she died 04 Jul 1880 at 8 Park Street, Nairn they married 26 Dec 1818 at Nairn.  I do have a lot of information on the Fletcher's so if you would like to contact me you can at diannevic@hotmail.com I would be pleased to hear from you.

Regards
Dianne