Author Topic: Witherslack PRs - or nearby.  (Read 2311 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Witherslack PRs - or nearby.
« on: Tuesday 09 October 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
I'd appreciate any help with a marriage and a couple of baptisms.

I'm still looking for the marriage of John Geldart (Gelderd etc) and Hannah circa 1700-12 in Witherslack or somewhere nearby.

I've managed to get hold of his will of 1737 and he confirms his wife's name as Hannah. He also mentions a couple of children that I haven't got (as well as the ones I have got, so it is the right will)! There's a John, Hannah and Agnes. Any help locating their baptisms would be great.

Thanks.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Witherslack PRs - or nearby.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Looks like the daughter Hannah's marriage:

Joseph Simpson
 Of Fell End
 Hannah Gelderd
 Of Witherslack
marriage date: 1726
at Witherslack, Westmoreland, England

Where were the other children baptised? And their names?

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gigi,

Thanks - I'd got that marriage from family Search as Hannah's husband is mentioned in John's will.

The baptisms I have for the other siblings are all in Witherslack and are a bit puzzling because there's a Robert baptised in 1705 then nothing until Thomas in 1711 (perhaps that's where the 3 missing ones fit in) but then there's another Thomas and another Robert both baptised in 1716. Presumably the first Robert and Thomas died in infancy, as John senior's will treats son James as the eldest when it comes to inheritance.

The others are: Frances baptised in 1712 (my line) and James in 1714.

Thanks for your interest.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
It may be worth checking Quaker records. At the time mentioned, Witherslack area was a hot-bed of Quakerism.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that suggestion. I do have other Quaker families in the general area but I don't think the Geldarts were Quakers.

I can't find any sign of them on the BMD Nonconformist website and I have already found a couple of their children presumably baptised in the local parish church.

I'm wondering if the Witherslack PRs have big gaps in them and mine have fallen through!

Jill
HELP!!!