Author Topic: COFFEY  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Marilyn1511

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COFFEY
« on: Wednesday 10 October 12 03:54 BST (UK) »
Trying to get details of a Bridget Coffey born in Ireland 1835 (maybe Limerick).  Married on 14 January 1860 in St Nicholas Church, Penrith NSW.

Would like to confirm birth date, parents and how she arrived in NSW Australia.

Any help appreciated.

:) Thank you

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COFFEY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 05:42 BST (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The NSW BDM mc for Bridget COFFEY and Patrick DORAHY registered at Penrith 1860  #2390 may not have all the details that appear on the Parish Register.  Have you contacted St Nicholas’ archivist or at least the Parish Secretary? 

http://www.stnicholasofmyra.org.au/ 

Here’s a thread I did up to help other RChatters overcome some of the apparent hurdles on the NSW BDM mc records 1856-1895.   I hope it will help you too.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
This is from a tree on Ancestry.  I have changed it a bit, the spelling and grammar made it difficult to read ::)

Bridget arrived in Geelong, Victoria with her sisters Julia, 18, and Mary, 21, as assisted immigrants on the Epson.  They were listed as domestic servants from Limerick, and were Roman Catholic.  Bridget and Julia could read and write, Mary could only read.

They were employed for 3 months and then left for Sydney on the coastal vessel City of Sydney, arriving 3 September 1855.  Their parents, Patrick and Catherine and 5 siblings arrived in NSW in 1856 on the Commodore Perry.

Julia married William DORAHY in 1859, Bridget married Patrick DORAHY in 1860, and  Mary married John Taylor in 1862.  All sisters survived into the twentieth century. 

You would of course need to check these details yourself.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 12:59 BST (UK) »
Well, for a start I can tell you that the immigration info for Patrick and Catherine on the Commodore Perry does not tally with them being the parents of these three girls.

Patrick states that he has no relatives in the colony, and Catherine states that she has two brothers, Henry and Ralph, at St. Mary's, South Creek.  Her maiden surname is NASH.

It seems a bit odd that they would not mention their daughters, but a death cert. may confirm the names of all their children.

Henry and Ralph NASH arrived together on the Forth (1) in 1830.  They were tried at Tipperary in 1829 for manslaughter and both were serving a 7 year sentence.

Debra  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 13:26 BST (UK) »
Death Notice for Julia DORAHY, Jan 1903, gives her age as 65, thus a birth-date of abt 1837.

Death Notice on p4 ; funeral notices on p8.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/1337082

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 12 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I posted some info about Patrick DORAHY on the following thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,618974.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 October 12 02:43 BST (UK) »
The NSW SRO’s Deceased Estates Index has a file for a Bridget DORAHY, (Mossvale) with date of death as 12 Nov 1919, and Duty paid 25 March 1920.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online

These files can often contain various witness statements, and their supporting evidence may well include BDM certificates or other information about the deceased's origins.

Adding
Bridget’s husband was a Police Officer
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/86111641 Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers  22 Nov 1919
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15875795  SMH 12 Dec 1919 Probate Notice (Hugh Dorahy as Exec)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 October 12 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

NSW ER 1870 THE NEPEAN

COFFEY
Michael, residence, Frogmore
Patrick, household, Frogmore
Patrick, junior, residence, Frogmore
William, residence, Frogmore

COFFY
John, residence, Frogmore

DORAHY
Patrick, household, Greendale
William, senior, leasehold, Greendale
William, junior, freehold, Luddenham

NB “Frogmore” was a locality near to “Mamre House”, (Rev Samuel Marsden’s country estate, South Creek in the Nepean/Penrith district of NSW)  and was perhaps where Hume and Hovell set out back in 1824 to find more grazing lands.    There used to be a monument (horses trough) back in the 1960s to the two explorers start point  at Frogmore, (Luddenham Road, Erskine Park).    I am not sure if the monument is still there, if so it would be on the western side of Luddenham Road, almost where the road intersected with Mamre Road.

Cheers,  JM