Author Topic: Drumoak - Station Cottage  (Read 5538 times)

Offline johnkingedinburgh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumoak - Station Cottage
« on: Thursday 11 October 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
My half sister Dorothy King died in 1940.  The usual address given was Station Cottage, Park, Drumoak and the death was recorded by a neighbour Robert Wilson of Park Station, Drumoak. 

Looking at the map there is a street called "Park" between the A93 and Couper's Road but I've looked at the cottages on Google Maps and can't see a Station Cottage. 

Was there a train station in Drumoak?  Perhaps the station and associated cottage were demolished? 

Also curious because my dad and his 2nd wife were living in Edinburgh before and after 1940, I'm guessing that because the war was on they felt it safer for mum and the kids to stay with a relative in a small vilage rather than stay in Edinburgh, but after the death (which reads to me as a cot death) she returned to Edinburgh. 

Is there any way to confirm who owned the property at that time?  I'll be past caring by the time the 1941 census is made public ;)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Drumoak - Station Cottage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

Yes there was a Drum station - then Park station then Crathes station.  Could not find sign of the cottage, but maybe I overlooked it.

The place to look is the National Library of Scotland maps section - available free online at

http://geo.nls.uk/search/#zoom=6&lat=56.71138&lon=-4.9&layers=B000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFT

When you get to the overview page there's a list on the left and the one you want to look for is the OS 6" 1892 - 1960..  You zoom down, then select the historical overay which is excellent and can be zoomed down through.

Regrads,  Steve  :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

Yes there was a Drum station - then Park station then Crathes station.  Could not find sign of the cottage, but maybe I overlooked it.

The place to look is the National Library of Scotland maps section - available free online at

http://geo.nls.uk/search/#zoom=6&lat=56.71138&lon=-4.9&layers=B000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFT

When you get to the overview page there's a list on the left and the one you want to look for is the OS 6" 1892 - 1960..  You zoom down, then select the historical overay which is excellent and can be zoomed down through.

Regrads,  Steve  :)

Thanks for your help Steve!  I can't see the cottage marked on old maps, but it appears that the old station is now a caravan park. 

It mostly seems like new housing around there, but there are a couple of traditional cottages, so if I get around to taking a run up there I'll inspect more closely! 

Any thoughts on finding out who owned the property in 1940? 

The baby was interred in Drumoak, would the church have any more records other than what's recorded on the death certificate? 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all this! 

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
It may be of some comfort to note that there was no 1941 Census

I'll be past caring by the time the 1941 census is made public

http://www.1911census.org.uk/censusdates.htm

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
It may be of some comfort to note that there was no 1941 Census

I'll be past caring by the time the 1941 census is made public

http://www.1911census.org.uk/censusdates.htm

ev

Good think I wasn't holding my breath! 

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Valuation rolls will tell you who owned the property, and the name of the head tenant.  They were published annually, and ones for Drumoak are held at the Old Aberdeen House office of the Aberdeen City & Aberdeenshire Archives in Aberdeen.  You can contact them, and see what else they've got, through their website at www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archives

Offline Acstan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My Mother Elizabeth Henderson Ross was born 1923 at Station Cottage, Park Station to Parents John Yule Ross and Dora Whyte Geils.  My Granddad John was Railway Signalman at Park Station and the family lived at Station Cottage, I know by 1945 they had moved down the lane to live at Bridge Cottage where Dora had the job of Toll Keeper at Park Bridge.

John
Vinton - Newlyn East, Cornwall
Drinkwater - Great Marton, Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire
Taylor - Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My Mother Elizabeth Henderson Ross was born 1923 at Station Cottage, Park Station to Parents John Yule Ross and Dora Whyte Geils.  My Granddad John was Railway Signalman at Park Station and the family lived at Station Cottage, I know by 1945 they had moved down the lane to live at Bridge Cottage where Dora had the job of Toll Keeper at Park Bridge.

John

Hi John,

Wow, it's a small world right enough! 

I wonder if my dad's wife knew your grandparent's and stayed with them to get away from the expected bombing in Edinburgh, or if your grandparents had already moved by 1940. 

Me and my brother are going to take a trip up that way at some point, possibly not much to see now but it's a day out anyway! 

Offline Steve Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
I have Robert Wilson in my family tree. He was another railway signalman, and he lived with his wife Jessie at Station Cottage, Drumoak, until she died in 1960. I think Robert died in 1972.