Author Topic: Drumoak - Station Cottage  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Drumoak - Station Cottage
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Any thoughts on finding out who owned the property in 1940?
Try the 1935 Valuation Roll at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

It was probably owned by the railway company.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline leefee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drumoak - Station Cottage
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My Mother Elizabeth Henderson Ross was born 1923 at Station Cottage, Park Station to Parents John Yule Ross and Dora Whyte Geils.  My Granddad John was Railway Signalman at Park Station and the family lived at Station Cottage, I know by 1945 they had moved down the lane to live at Bridge Cottage where Dora had the job of Toll Keeper at Park Bridge.

John

Hi John,

Wow, it's a small world right enough! 

I wonder if my dad's wife knew your grandparent's and stayed with them to get away from the expected bombing in Edinburgh, or if your grandparents had already moved by 1940. 

Me and my brother are going to take a trip up that way at some point, possibly not much to see now but it's a day out anyway! 

Discovered this post.  not sure if john is still active.  The station house was the Irvine arms pub, just been demolished i have a pic as it was back in 1900 ish and the 80s, and last week before it went.