Author Topic: Looking for 18th century marriage please  (Read 10210 times)

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for 18th century marriage please
« on: Thursday 11 October 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage of Robert Coward to Agnes.

Their daughters Jane and Margaret were born c1775 and c1777 in Kendal, Westmorland.

Jane married David Huddlestone on 25 December 1790 in Grasmore, Westmorland and is my 5x great grandmother.

Thanks.

Offline FIFTHWHEEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 18th century marriage please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gibby1968,

On a web site which I subscribe to I searched Parish Marriages between 1740 and 1780 in the name of Robert Coward and twenty one entries came up. I then checked the details of all these and found only one where the brides name was Agnes, the details were Robert Coward married Agnes Preston on the 9th October 1755 at Pennington near Ulverston. However, this is twenty years before the birth of the two daughters which makes it quite likely that this is not the marriage you are looking for.

As a matter of interest I also found a baptism for a Agnes Preston on the 5th August 1733 in Kendal.

Regards,

fifthwheel.
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 12 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking :)

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
is this david huddlestone the one who founded the elterwater gunpowder works in 1824 and married a miss coward of skelwith bridge and bore 10 children several of which did not survive childhood .his wife died in 1815 whilst the family were living at Kendal.
David Huddlestone became a partner in messrs maude wilson and crewdson bank at Kendal  retiring in 1823.
A Jeremiah Coward owned a bobbin mill at Skelwith bridge and they supplied barrels for the gunpowder works was this Coward a relation of Jane Coward ? 

cheers fellsman

Gibby are you certain about Robert and Agnes as i've found a family tree that has the above David Huddlestone and Jane Coward whose wedding was 25th dec 1790 at Grasmere as having a John Coward of Lowick as father and Anne Mason of Grasmere as mother with 10 siblings including the above mentioned Jeremiah . john and anne married at grasmere 21st nov 1769 John was bapt 21 dec 1743 at lowick..

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trying tp piece everything together.

I don't take any notice of ancestry trees as they are so often full of wrong information.

Offline barig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 12 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibby. I see you are looking for the marriage of Robert Coward. I am also researching Coward/Cowherds in Westmorland. Although I can't help with your request, I do think we may have a distant link on the Coward side. I'm trying to find a link with Jerimiah and the Stott Park  bobbin mill.

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 00:38 GMT (UK) »
The Jane Coward that married David Huddlestone on  25th dec 1790 is thought to be Jerimiah Cowards 1789 /1871 elder sister. Jerimiah was a corn miller who developed a bobbin and wood mill at Skelwith Bridge his will has his occupation down as innkeeper in 1871.In the 1840s his eldest son John is down as running the business until he died in the 1850s when Jerimiah and Johns eldest son William took over running the business of skelwith bridge mill.
In the 1860s William and his mother ,Johns widow Elizabeth  moved to Stott Park and took the lease of the bobbin mill. Willliam married Anne Youdell and had 7 children William died in1882 aged 39 when the lease was taken by his brother John and Williams widow Anne.
John died in 1917 when it passed to Williams son John who purchased the mill for 4 thousand pounds in 1921 he died in 1954.
David Huddlestones ,Elterwater Gunpowder Works are said to have been built on the site of his father in laws corn mill ,when Huddlestone died  the Gunpowder works were run by his brother in law John Robinson whose family was involved in slate quarrying in the Langdale area.Jerimiah Coward made and supplied barrels for transporting  gunpowder  at the bobbin mill at Skelwith Bridge he and his father ran the Hare and Hound ale house next door.

Cheers Fellsman

Offline barig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I know of these Cowards but I haven't made a link to them as yet.  Do you know who Jeremiah's parents were, by any chance?

Offline barig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fellsman. Thanks for that. I'll look at the info you suggest.
Mike