Author Topic: Looking for 18th century marriage please  (Read 10209 times)

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 18th century marriage please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 13 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I beleive that the Jane Coward that married David Huddlestone and the jane Coward that was the daughter of Robert and Agnes Coward are two different people.
The Jane that married David Huddlestone was christened at Grasmere in sept 1770 on igi she is named as jinny coward daughter of John Coward.
The other Jane Coward was christened at Kendal on 8th jan 1775 and Margaret on 10 aug 1777 the daughters of Robert and Agnes Coward but i can't find any records of their marriage.
David Huddlestone was a banker in Kendal before he retired and owned slate quarries and the Elterwater gunpowder works .

Cheers Fellsman

Offline barig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
  Thanks for your reply. I've checked out the Walker link you passed to me and there is a definite link to my tree there, although it is distant. It also fits in with some other information I've just discovered from Australia.
   I'll look at the information in your last post. I find it is quite confusing -  I have so many people with the same name - Jane, John, George and William - it is quite a maze at times!
      Thanks again,
                 Mike.

Offline DJNicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 16:34 BST (UK) »
Jeremiah Coward of Skelwith Bridge (1789-1871) is my g/g/g/ grandfather.  His father was John Coward, originally from Lowick, who became a Miller at Skelwith Bridge.  John Coward married Hannah Mason at Grasmere in 1769.  Jeremiah was the youngest of eight children. He took over the mill at Skelwith Bridge (now "Chesters") and converted it to a Bobbin Mill which his son Jackson Coward ran after his death.  Other Bobbin Mills under the Coward family management were Stott Park, Finsthwaite and Low Briery, Keswick.  His daughter Susannah (my g/g/ grandmother) and her husband Thomas Eyers ran the Bobbin Mill at Crooklands.

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I realise that this is a rather old post that I am replying to but, does anyone know anything about the James Birkett who married Ann Coward (Daughter of John & Hannah Mason). The only Information I have is that he was from the "Birkett's" of Middlerigg, Troutbeck family. I'm having problems finding his parents. Thanks.

Offline Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 April 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found a baptism for a James Birkett 5/11/1769 at Troutbeck, father George.  There are also two more, one on 14/1/1769 father James, and the other on 27/12/1780 father Anthony.  I have a copy of a will 10/3/1741 for Robert Cookson, blacksmith in Troutbeck and one of witnesses is George Birkett.  Hope this is helpful.

Susan

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 April 21 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susan, any one of these could be the James I am looking for! I would hedge my bets on James being his Father as the other two names do not run through the family. Hmmmm...

Offline BJowettBragg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 September 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
David Huddlestone’s first wife was Jane Coward, the daughter of John Coward who owned a mill at Elterwater on land which David Huddlestone later purchased to build the gunpowder works and is now Langdale Leisure. John was also the innkeeper at Skelwith Bridge and had property and farming interests in Langdale.