Author Topic: John McGregor and Mary Fisher from Balquhidder  (Read 14691 times)

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McGregor and Mary Fisher from Balquhidder
« on: Saturday 13 October 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
not sure how to go forward with this one!
my 5Gr/parents were john mcgregor b1760-d1800 and mary fisher b1760,both born in balquhidder,i know that they married there in 1778,i would love to get further back but not sure how to go about it,a new found cousin has got this far,but, as i have found out,the more you know-the more you want,
any help would be brill,
regards mary
stewarts and mcgregors,gibsons,perthshire,mcintosh denny area.thomsons bannockburn,kerr,stevenson,thomsons and mooney ireland

Offline chipking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John McGregor and Mary Fisher from Balquhidder
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
mary fisher born 26/07/1756   parents patrick fisher/christian mclaren   parish BALQUHIDDER city/county perth

cannot find anything for birth death of a john mcgregor

this information is on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
hi chipking,
thanks for that, much appreciated,i'm going to phone stirling archives tomorrow to see if they have any info,
regards mary
stewarts and mcgregors,gibsons,perthshire,mcintosh denny area.thomsons bannockburn,kerr,stevenson,thomsons and mooney ireland

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
If you use the surname variant option on Scotlandspeople you get 11 hits for John McGregor in Balquhidder born 1740 - 1762.
You would then need to look at the 'fermtouns' on the Parish certificates to judge which Mcgregor / Fisher combination was most likely.

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
This gives all the McGregors born in Balquhidder in the timeframe of interest :)

http://www.clangregor.org/macgregor/parish-balqb.htm

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
hi cambron,
thank you so much,will check that out just now,
regards mary  :)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I'm stuck at Balquhidder with my MCGREGORs too! My great x 3 grandfather, Hugh MCGREGOR was born there in 1802 to John MCGREGOR & Mary MCGREGOR (I believe that was also her maiden name). Hugh married Mary HOUSTON (sometimes recorded as HAUSTIN, AUSTIN) in Balquhidder abt. 1832. Three children, John, James and Robert were born in the area (Strathyre and Rusgachan) then the family moved to Argyllshire where some 9 more children followed.

I cannot sort out John & Mary MCGREGOR (Hugh's parents) as there was more than one couple of the same names at the same time in Balquhidder, who were probably related anyway as their children have more or less the same given names too. I have pretty well given up on that! Cannot find parents of a birth etc. for Mary (HOUSTON) MCGREGOR either.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Might be something on here Mary,   http://www.chuckspeed.com/balquhidder/Links.htm

Skoosh.

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I think John could be the son of Hugh Drummond Junior and Mary McLaren of Auchtubhmore, christened in 1757. Or possibly the son of Hugh Drummond Senior and Janet McGregor, who was also born at Auchtubhmore, but in 1746. My guess is based on location, possible age, (given the age range of their children's christenings), and the names of John and Mary's children. In a large family, it's likely four of the children will be named after the grandparents.

Although the two Hughs lived in the Auchtubh area, and the Senior/Junior is in reference to the other Hugh, I don't think they were closely related. At least, I can't find a record of a link, but it is possible one is the son of the other, and the christening has been lost, or wasn't recorded. I think they were both landowners, (or related to landowners), and their land was seized by the crown after the 1745-1746 rising, because their names appear in the Statistics of Annexed Estates 1755-56, under Easter Auchtubh.

John and Mary are mentioned in John McGregor's Oral Histories, but it talks about their children, and not their parents.

Also, I have Hugh, the husband of Mary Houston, as the son of John and Janet McGregor of Easter Auchtubh, christened 1802. I can't find a record of a Hugh to a John and Mary, but John and Janet matches the census records by age, and by the name of the children, (first born son John, first born daughter Jessie).

John, (and his sons, including Hugh), signed the Acknowledgement of the Chief of Clan Gregor in 1822 as the tenant of Auchleskine.

Janet was the daughter of 1774 Robert and Margaret McLaren, born at Auchtubh in 1777. This is confirmed by census records and the death certificates of her sisters, Mary and Elizabeth, who lived with her son John at Rusgachan. Robert is mentioned in John McGregor's Oral Histories as born around 1741, the sixth generation at Middle Auchtubh, and his father was born around 1701, and died about 1778. Robert was probably the son of the same Hugh Drummond Senior and Janet McGregor I mentioned above, christened 1742.

John was probably the son of Hugh Ban Drummond and Janet McIntyre of Auchtubhmore, christened 1764. Like the two Hughs above, this Hugh is also listed in the Statistics of Annexed Estates for Easter Auchtubh.

In conclusion, it would appear there was a law restricting the people who lived at Auchtubh to those named Hugh Drummond  :)

I hope this helps,

John.