Author Topic: Alexander Henry McKenzie  (Read 13167 times)

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Henry McKenzie
« on: Monday 15 October 12 02:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Alexander Henry McKenzie. He was born Dec. 25, 1836. maybe in  County Fermanagh and Tempo Ballyreah. He had a cousin John and Liz that lived closed to that area in 1902. Also, had an uncle James Cuglan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tom

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Henry McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. A bit more detail would make it easier for us to help you.

Did Alexander Henry McKenzie stay in Ireland? Is the cousin 'John' also McKenzie? is Liz another cousin or John's wife or...?
What records have you already checked?

The 1911 census has a John McKenzie in Ballyreagh with wife Lizzie-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Ballyreagh/Ballyreagh/518817
In 1901 John's brother 'Kenith' is in the household along with a 19 year old Rebecca McKenzie (she's Methodist unlike the rest of the household)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Ballyreagh/Ballyreagh/1352733

Looks like this could be the same John McKenzie- Will should be available at PRONI- see www.proni.gov.uk:
"McKenzie otherwise Makinzie John of Ballyreagh county Fermanagh farmer died 13 October 1922 Probate Londonderry 22 June to Joseph Watson farmer. Effects £324 2s. 6d."
Also, "McKenzie Elizabeth of Ballyreagh county Fermanagh widow died 9 January 1929 Probate Londonderry 8 April to John McKenzie farmer. Effects £259."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
Other McKenzies in Ballyreagh:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Ballyreagh/Ballyreagh/1352745

Another McKenzie thread with more Ballyreagh details posted-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,478659

Rebecca McKenzie (in 1901 census) may be the one listed in Ballinamallard Methodist Church records, along with other McKenzies-
http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/ballinamallard-meth.txt
Rebecca's marriage?, and other McKenzie marriages-
http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/knockmanoul-meth-mar.txt
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. You asked if the family between 1840 and 1845 during the potato famine stayed in Manchester, England. The mother and father and the three boys. I do not know their names. At age 17, Alexander became a Presyb. I guess before he was with the Church of Ireland. He served one hitch in the Royal Navy. He went to India on a ship and that is about the time the Civil War broke out in America. He came back and had a fight with his brother, and he struck his head on a stone hearth. He thought he was dead and he fled England to come to America. I have a 4 page letter a few months before he passed away in 1902. He wrote to John. The two census you sent, I have. I compared the writing with John"s letter. In the letter, both of John's parents passed away in 1888. It would be nice to know their names and where they are buried. Kenneth must have been the oldest brother in 1836. Francis was born in 1839 and Joseph born in 1835. He came to America to New York. John in 1851 and Daniel and I am not sure when he was born. There was 2 sisters and I do not know their names. Sincerely, Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 12 00:23 BST (UK) »
Alexander henry  1836-1902
Mary Jane Wagner  1837-1934

1. Anna Catherine  1869-1949
2, William Franklin Kenneth  1871-1996
3. Ruth Isabelle  1873-1961
4. Margaret Florence  1876-1971
5. Frederick  1879 died at birth
6. Arthur  1879-1866
7. Alexander  1879-1971
If Alexander stayed with tradition of naming the son after the father, I am guessing his parents could have  been william and Ann.I believe John's parents and my great grandparents were brothers and came to Ireland around 1830. ++++Joseph's birthday was 1845 not 1835 a mistake printed earlier. thank you   Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
I was given some information about Rebecca McKenzie. Her parents were Francis, one of John's brothers and his wife was Margaret Watson married in 1864. Rebecca was a daughter born in 1882. She married Robert Emerson in 1903. You also mentioned Dainel. He was Rebecca's brother. He was born in 1865. He married Elizabeth McFarland in 1896. John did have a brother, but I think he went to Manchester.I still do not know John's sisters names. One was married and lived in Enniskillen, and the other one lived in Irinestown. You did mention some Charles McKenzie, but I do not believe I can help on that one. Joseph, John's brother, went to America. He went to Poughkeepsie, New York and married Mary. I found in 1880 census, and he was a glass worker. His children were Ellen, Sarah, Mary.We were there in 1991. There is still family in Ballyreagh.  Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 May 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
I was given some information about John McKenzie parents Patrick McKenzie died 4 27 1888 age 74 Madge McKenzie  died 12 30 1888 age 74 co. Fermanagh. Tom

Offline silverdoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 August 13 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I stumbled across this thread whilst researching the McKenzies from another angle.  My grandmother was Marjory McKenzie who was married to Joseph Watson mentioned above.  Her parents were John and Lizzie Mckenzie (nee McDermott) who I believe were married in 1894 listed in Garvery church.  It certainly fits with my grandmothers birth date 1 year later.  There is a common misspelling of the name in the copied church records -it is listed as mckinzie.  This however lists John McKenzie's dad as Daniel who was a tenant farmer in the area - listed on Griffiths in 1862.  I just wondered if I am on completely the wrong track or whether your information about John's parentage may be incorrect?

I also traced Rebecca but have her birth and methodist baptism recorded as mother Frances and father Joseph in 1881 in "Cavanalough??".  I have her siblings as Christian born 1876 and Joseph born 1878. There may well be two families around with similar names as often children were named following tradition leading to cousins having the same names.

The other puzzle I have yet to solve is that Lizzie McDermott was born in Tipperary in 1865 yet her parents are local to Fermanagh and she ends up back there to marry John.  There is a family story that the young family were driven up north by the troubles, but this suggests that they were not down there for very long.  Hey ho! This searching is never easy.

Sylvia

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Sylvia,
Thank you for the reply. There is a possibility that there are 2 families. There is a lot I do not know. I got information from google. You probably have documents that aid in your knowledge. I am still searching. I did not know what John's wife madien name was. It was a help. I think there were 3 boys two died in France in WW1. Get back with you later! Tom