Author Topic: carneys in wexford  (Read 2587 times)

Offline jolby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
carneys in wexford
« on: Monday 15 October 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
hia

this is a bit of a long shot as i dont have much infomation but maybe someone can advise me, i have the marriage certificate for my gggrandad (he was a mystery in himself) he married in pembrokeshire but was origionally from davidstown co wexford, he was born 1842 ish, on his marriage in 1873 it states he was a widower which is the first i knew of a marriage before... his father was joseph carney, i would like to try and trace this branch further but i have no idea where to go from here, he was in the army when he married in 1873 and i have the documents from FindMyPast but it doesnt say anything about a first marriage and only has next of kin listed when he remarried, any ideas would be great thanks.....

jo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: carneys in wexford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
What occupation for is on the marriage cert for Joseph ?

There seems to be four separate townlands named Davidstown in Co. Wexford... does the military record mention the name of the Civil parish your  gggrandad was born in ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jolby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
thanks for replying, the marriage cert states joseph was an engineer..... unfortunatly on the military records it just states davidstown co wexford, it does also state manchester so he enrolled in ireland then went to manchester from there before pembrokeshire
jo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Usually Military records include place of birth as the civil parish - but maybe in this case he gave the name of his RC parish. Were your Carney's RC ?

There is a Catholic parish of Davidstown, and it's located south-west of the town of Enniscorthy.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Try the spelling Kearney - more common in Wexford
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History