Author Topic: Evans Family in Pembrey  (Read 1109 times)

Offline JezLee126

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evans Family in Pembrey
« on: Monday 15 October 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching my mother's family in Pembrey, of which I know absolutely nothing. My mother was called Kitty Evans and I have found out her father was Thomas Evans, a mason, who married Hannah Lewis, who worked as a housemaid in 1911 for the Roderick Family at a large house called Goodig, near Llanelly. I think that Margaret Jones, who was working as a cook at the same house, later married Thomas's brother, Gwilym! My grandparents, Thomas and Hannah died in 1922 and 1923, when my mother (who was born in 1915) was 6/7. All I know is that she was raised by an uncle and aunt in Pembrey, but I don't know who. Both Thomas Evans and Hannah Lewis had many brothers and sisters, so it could have been any of these that raised her. Unfortunately, the censuses stop at 1911, otherwise I could have found out where she was living in 1931. This would have been shortly before she left for London to go to Teacher's Training College (which one, I don't know!). She later moved to Wolverhampton and met and married my father, Kenneth Lee. As far as I know, she never had any further contact with her family in Wales. What caused this estrangement has puzzled me (and my late father) all our lives. If there is anyone out there who could shed any light on this story for me, I would be very grateful.
Best wishes,
Jeremy.

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evans Family in Pembrey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 12 19:03 BST (UK) »
HI
just reading your info
 you say mother kitty born 1915 is this correct ???
just found this info
Kittey G Evans b 3rd qtr 1915 Llanelly mothers name Richards

Kitty Evans 1st qtr 1916 vol 11a page 2264 reg district llanelly carmarthen mothers name -Lewis

Only trying to break down info to see what info you have.
cheers cardiff :)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline JezLee126

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evans Family in Pembrey
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
She was born on 26 December 1915, therefore not registered until Jan/Feb/Mar 1916 (I have the birth certificate, which gives her father's name as Thomas Evans and mother's name as Hannah Lewis. He is listed as a stone mason (journeyman). She was a domestic servant, as I recounted in my original post.
Cheers, Jeremy.  :)