Author Topic: Another brick wall  (Read 1943 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Another brick wall
« on: Tuesday 16 October 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
I have had a look but don't think I have asked this before, sorry if I have...
My 3rd great grandfather was William Antcliffe he was baptised in North Muskham 1st Oct 1797.

I have traced him in
1841 Caunton -Antliffe
1851 Caunton -Antcliff
1861 Caunton Antliff
1871 Caunton Antliff, no sign of him on the 1881 so I am working on the possibility he was dead before then.
I cannot find his death.
He is not the William buried in Thorney in 1872, who was living in Broadholme. registered in Newark. Even though some trees on Ancestry have this as his death date.
There is no burial in Caunton for him- where I would expect him to be, having lived most of his life there. His wife Mary died Jan 1848 and is buried in Caunton. As is his daughter Mary who died 1847.
One son was living in Fiskerton, so I checked burials for there in case he was with his son, nothing.
Two daughter's were in Carlton Nottingham, nothing there either.
Can anyone come up with my elusive William, I am living in hope!! :P
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

I'm just off to Nottingham archives so I'll have a look there and see if I can find anything for you. 

Nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
That would be excellent thank  you muchly  :)
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
Notts girl, could I just ask, are the Nottingham prison records at the Archives?
My 2x great grandmother, Mary Antliff, was convicted of manslaughter March 3rd 1853, she gave birth in nottingham gaol on 9th July 1853 to a son samuel who later died in the prison.Mary was due to be transported. Somehow Mary was released, I have not found out how or why, but she was back with her husband and gave birth to a daughter on 6th Oct 1855 in Caunton. I have assumed William must have pleaded her case.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

Sorry only just seen your last message.  I'm not sure about the prison records I'll find out for you next time I'm there.  Is she William's daughter or daughter in law.

I've had a look for the death/burial for William Antcliff but have not found one that would match.  I've looked on free bmd and all the William's deaths on there are all to young, the only one that is nearest in age to him is the one buried in Thorney 1872 the burial has his age as 66yrs but on free bmd his age is 70, so his age could be wrong on both, you would need his death certificate to see if one of his children registered his death.

Sorry not much help but I'll keep looking for you.

Nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Nottsgirl. The Thorney one is not mine, I have also traced him on the census's. I think I have to give up on my William.....
Mary was Williams Daughter in Law, she married William Antcliffe- 20 Sep 1852 in St Marys Nottingham. He was a widower with 3 small children. On 1st dec 1852 she had killed the youngest Joseph, he was 18 months old. Mary was baptised in Lowdham 22 Jan 1829. I have the articles from the Nottingham Guardian.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 October 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Oh my word..... I just had to share, as you are the only folks that will understand my excitement, my family just think I am nuts!!
I have found him, after years of looking. ;D
I thought  about his daughter who was his housekeeper for years. Would she really have left him on his own in Caunton and moved to Carlton. Bless her she took him with her. Her name is on his death certificate. His age and spelling of the surname both wrong.
But I have knocked down one of my long standing brick walls, how happy am I  8)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
Good to hear another of those walls come tumbling down  :D 

I had a breakthrough too this week but just got the usual eye-rolls from the family, so let's celebrate each other's success instead - cheers  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you. ;) How happy I am seeing that little green tick  :D