Author Topic: Marquet  (Read 2831 times)

Offline DavidfromBow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marquet
« on: Wednesday 17 October 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard this name?
My gg-grandfather was John Marquet, born Isle of Dogs, London 1822. My grandmother, Mary Marquet, had 4 sisters and 3 brothers (that I know of). I would be interested to know if anybody has this relatively rare, french sounding, name in their family tree.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marquet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello David from Bow
I have just come across your post on the surname Marquet.
That surname came up in my husband's tree with Ellen Florence Marquet ( b1871 Bethnal Green) marrying John Hazlewood in 1900 (also Bethnal Green). I have found her parents to be Harry Edwin Marquet and Ellen Finney.
Harry Edwin  bc1850 Mile End , married 1870 Bethnal Green and his parents Edwin James Marquet and  (?)Sophia Saunders;
Edwin James' parents James Marquet and Harriet Sale.
I notice that in a recent Ancestry ad on tv, the Marquet name was on the wall in the background, with Edwin James being mentioned as a music teacher, choirmaster at Westminster Abbey. I don't know if this is true but it can be verified.
Hope this helps
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more