Author Topic: Famine COMPLETE  (Read 8984 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Famine COMPLETE
« on: Thursday 18 October 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a evicted tenants list during the potato famine, I have a list of some from Mountbellew area in Galway but was hoping there was a existing lists for the whole counties of Mayo and Galway or any others :-\
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Famine
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Kerrill.

If there are lists of the famine evictions that survive,it is possible The national Library of Ireland may hold the records.If you are not close at hand you can E.mail them at www.nli.ie .I have done this in the past and found them both helpful and quick in responce to a query.
I did check the Irish National Archive but they do no have any information on this subject.
I hope this may be of some help.     

With regards Diarmuid.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, will try the link and will post if I get any joy. :)
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 12 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Wikipaedia suggest some were made see the article on the famine, I think one of the many books published  may have extra information. This is Litton, Helen (1994), The Irish Famine: An Illustrated History, Wolfhound Press, ISBN 0-86327-912-0
The 1851 census carried some sort of question how many of the family died  during the period. But then the census was destroyed or recycled.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 12 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Not sure any 'official' eviction lists were created at the time of the Famine. It sounds like a specific bit of research someone would have to do. Not sure either that it would be possible to create comprehensive lists as evictions would be carried out on an estate by estate basis. There could be lists in estate papers and I've seen newspaper articles naming evicted tenants in reporting and listing evicted tenants. I have a copy of that Litton book somewhere. It's a fairly simplistic and short telling of the Famine but I'll have a look to see what it says.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the replies, I am still waiting for the national library to get back to me.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 12 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Have got my reply from library-----There is such a thing as a “Famine Immigration List”
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000003232

It lists the people who arrived in America (you can see a Google Preview of the book on the catalogue) I’m not sure if there is a similar book for those who arrived in England.
Probably not, as Ireland was under British rule  in those days so I don't think there would be a need  for passengers lists  moving around Briton :'(

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 November 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You are correct, there are no passenger lists for people moving within the British Isles.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just reading the chapter on the Evictions in  'The Irish Famine' an illustrated history.  shows extract from Estate papers of Earl of Midleton's estate in counties Cork & Waterford 7/8/1847.  Next to Clare the worst area for evictions was County Mayo, the scene of ten per cent of all evictions between 1849 and 1854.  Among the worst landlords was the Earl of Lucan,  he removed over 2,000 tenants in the parish of Ballinrobe alone!  The Marquis of Sligo was also an evicting landlord.  No doubt all the estate papers available will show the evictions.

Not all the landlords who evicted tenants threw them on the road.  Emigration from Ireland was 'assisted' whereby landlords gave their tenants enough money for the passage to America or Canada.  Some landlords, even hired ships to transport them.

Maggie
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.