Author Topic: Famine COMPLETE  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Famine
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Maggie, will try and get a look at estate papers hopefully, the ships which the caring landlords hired were called coffin ships because almost all sank as none were seaworthy >:(
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Kerill,
        You are not quite correct about the "Coffin Ships". There were mainly ships from Canada which brought timber to Ireland and quickly converted to carry passngers as ballast on the return passage. These ships were loosely regulated by London and were overcrowded etc. Ships going to an American port were tightly regulated by Washington and limited the number of passengers. This is why it cost almost twice as much to travel to an American port as to a Canadian port. Most deaths and desease occurred on the Canadian ships. Some landlords and workhouses paid for their paupers to travel to American ports and of course, many more people travelled independantly of their landlord.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
You will find that a significant number of Irish folk refer to this time as the 'Great Hunger' as opposed to the 'Irish Famine'

The thinking behind this is that there was, allegedly, more than enough food to go around the population despite the failure of the potato crop.

The problem was that it was mostly shipped away by the English landlords. Hence, the name 'Hunger' instead of 'Famine'

Kind regards,

Mark.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Famine COMPLETE
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone that contributed   :)
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Irishballadeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 September 15 03:43 BST (UK) »
Kerrill:
My Gavin ancestors left Mountbellew during the An Gorta Mor (presume after the Ballinlass Evictions) and emigrated to England, and then to Illinois in 1880s. I have discovered some of this history would love to exchange info if your still out there.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Would be glad to share anything I have (there isn't that much) I can only go back as far as Mary Gavin who was born around 1866 died 1941, I can however send you all certs that are connected to Gavin's and if you would like any photos of graves in or around MountBellew I would gladly take some for you.

Offline Irishballadeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 September 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for communicating:
My Patrick Gavin was born 1826ish. Are you in the Mountbellew area? I was the first of my family to return to Mountbellew last Easter after 160-years, but only had two days. I did meet a young man named Andy Gavin, reviewed St. Mary's Church Records and visited the Cemeteries at St. Marys and Aghyart Cemetery.
To see 12 families of Gavins on the Ballinlass Monument makes me think that was the reason my Patrick left. It is my understanding that people of this area would go to England for work and return to help family funds. Patrick became a mason laborer and later a coal miner in Chesterfield, England. Patrick and Thomas are recurring names in our line. If my memory is correct, there are 3-Thomas' and 2-Patricks on the monument plus several others.
Andy showed me part of their lineage that went back to a Thomas Gavin born 1826 also. Unfortunately, I was not able to meet and discuss more with his family member that compiled most of the family genealogy. I have not been able to connect Andy's Family with a paper trail, but reason would say we are related. I'm contemplating contacting him to do some DNA testing to make the connection.
Do you have any experience with the Mountbellew Poor Law Union Records? Not sure if they would have any information on Gavins following the evictions.
Any info is helpful, my family did not pass down the family history so I started in 2011 and have been lucky to find the connection to Mountbellew and to Roundstone in Connemara where Patrick's wife Bridget was from.
I did take some cemetery photos, but was in a hurry so not sure what I have. I do remember a headstone of Bryan Gavin born 1700, passed 1777. Connection?
I look forward to seeing if we can help each other.

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
I am a bit late to the party here, but am also descended from Ballinlass evicted (Kilmartin family). Curious to get in touch with other descendants of those affected.

The Kilmartin family ended up in County Durham and went from there to Australia and, reputedly, America.
Prior (Wolverhampton), Nussey (Yorkshire and London), Kilmartin (Co. Galway and Co. Durham), Clothier (Lambeth), Collins (Manchester)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:20 BST (UK) »
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/23374

Freeman's Journal, dated Mountbellow, county of Galway, Wendesday night, March 25, describing the village ofBallinglass, parish of Kilasobe, and barony of Killyon, county of Galway, and the eviction of a number of tenants from huts they had erected on land obtained from the bog on the estate of a Mrs Gerrard.

The principal features were these:-  ...............................
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.