Author Topic: Whitney family of Aberedw  (Read 8168 times)

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitney family of Aberedw
« on: Friday 19 October 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Is anyone researching the Whitney family in Aberedw?  I think I have found my 5 X great grandfather, David Whitney, who died there in 1786. 
I found my 4 X great grandfather, David Whitney,  living in Orcop/St.Weonards, Herefordshire.  He married Susanna Watkins in Hereford in 1790.  I looked for baptisms for this David, but couldn't find any in Herefordshire, but then found baptisms in Aberedw, for a David, which would fit with his age, and Thomas and James Whitney, which are all names in my family. 
I found the burial for 4 X David Whitney in St. Weonards on 13 Dec 1829, age 66.  Which would make him born around 1763.  The baptism of this David took place 25 Mar 1765.
I am not positive, but there looks to be only one Whitney family in Aberedw.

Would like to hear from anyone who is researching these Whitneys.

Regards Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.

Offline malcolm david whitney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whitney family of Aberedw
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana
 My name is Malcolm David Whitney and I am said to be the seventh David of David. I can go back to David  married to Susanna Watkins in 1790,but the  family line can found, going back to 1049 AD.
If I can help in any way please contact me.
     Regards Malcolm

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, I am thrilled to hear from you.  I knew that the Whitney line goes right back to the time of William the Conquerer, as I believe that the Whitney's were known then as 'de Whiteney - the french spelling of the name.
As I said in my first post, I have the Parish record for the marriage of David Whitney to Susanna Watkins in 1790, which took place in St. John the Baptist Church.  I later discovered, that this Church is actually inside Hereford Cathedral.
I have found what I think to be a possible baptism of the above mentioned David Whitney, but I cannot be certain about it.  I've also found possible anticedents, but again cannot be sure. The records for Aberedw only go back to the 1600's, I am told by the National Library of Wales.
If you have any definite details going further back from David who married in 1790, I would be very interested to see them.
I think that you have to post on here 3 times, before you can send a Personal Message. When you have, I can send you my email address and we can exchange more details as I would love to know which line of the Whitneys you belong to.
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes, Diana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana
            A little more history ,in 1635 a John Whitney left England for Boston USA.With his wife Elinor and five children (I have a lot more background info).He settled in  Watertown (a suburb of Boston) the name Whitney is still very prominent there (streets,and family members).It can be said that from his family, the Whitney clan grew.     Mount Whitney
                                                    Pratt and Whitney Engineering
                                                     and at least 2 Senators
                                                                                        Regards  Malcolm

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, yes I had read about John Whitney and his family.  There are also a lot of people with the family tree on the Ancestry website, and although I searched this tree, I could find no likely connection to our family.  I am hoping that you are going to tell me that you have found one?

Well, it is bedtime for me now Malcolm.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes Diana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana
              In my early notes it was said by some one that around 1400 & 1600 there was about 3 locations were the name Whitney was used. And if this is correct it is possible that the surname could have been used, thus leading us up the garden path. Just a thought.

Malcolm

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone have access to old maps or any idea if there were any more towns with the name of 'Whitney' other than Whitney on Wye and the Witney in Oxfordshire, around 1400's or 1600's, as Malcolm David has suggested? (In Britain I forgot to say).

Thanks, Diana