Author Topic: Peter Walker/ Tippethill, Bathgate  (Read 16386 times)

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Walker/ Tippethill, Bathgate
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Peter Walker died in 1857 at Tippethill, Bathgate. Also on the census it states his address is Tippethill, Bathgate.  He was a farmer. Is there such a town in Bathgate?  All I have found on the internet is Tippethill Farm and Hospital.  I also found a Robert Walker who died in 2009 who was said to have lived at Tippethill Farm. I am wondering then if my Walker family actually lived on that farm.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Becky
hi there just to know that tippithill is not to close to bathgat but nearer to whitburn it lies about 3oo yards north of whitburn on the road to armadale the centre of the tippethill is the hospital called tippethill hosp even though it is more of a nursing home these days but it has a great reputaion i think tippethill farm is still therebut i will check thatout and post anything i find later walker is still a common name in whitburnbut tippethill  is strictly whitburn area and we cannot forget tippethill mine which was a clay mine and closed 25 years ago it supplied clay for armadale
brickworks, but the farm was in the hands of a robert walker in 1881 he was born in 1845 ish and he had a son peter walker born 1880 but the farm was quite big 150 acres and there was 5 people employed as well as family so  good luck and if i can help furtherplease contact me terry and guide dog usher

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Becky,

I have Walker ancestors from Bathgate in the 1800's. It was a common name in the area and I do not have a link to the Walkers of Tippethill although there may well be one further back. But here are some burial records for your Walkers I obtained a few years ago from the local council Cemeteries Department  -

Whitburn Cemetery - Section / Lair g 55
Lairholder                James Walker, Farmer, Tippethill
18.04.1903                Robert Walker, age 55 years
16.02.1911                Julia Neill or Walker, age 62 years

Whitburn Cemetery - Section / Lair g 56
12.06.1897                Isabella Walker, age 73 years
23.04.1934                Robert Walker, age 0

Whitburn Cemetery - Section / Lair g 57
20.05.1867                Henry Walker, age 1 year
10.04.1868                Still born child Walker
30.11.1868                Still born child Walker
22.04.1898                Mary G Walker, age 0
13.02.1890                John Walker, age 0
06.05.1902                Still born child Walker
06.02.1911                Janet Walker, age 0

Canisp.

sorry i had to go but the peter walker that was born about 1880 died during november 1959 his wife was mary neally douglas walker and they are both buried in whitburn cem lair u 118 mary died in 1970  and i am sure they lived in balgornie farm that is the one next to tippithillagain part of polkemmet estate which is now owned by west lothian counncil after being taken over from national coal bord who took it over from ballie familybut when i get a chance i will look at my records of whitburn and bathgate cemsbut any help i can give is better done by email as i am blind and find this site a nightmare to work with my screen reader but being part of armadale history group i find this area on the edge of our boundry good to look at   terry and g d usher

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 December 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. I have been very lucky as I went on Ancestry.com and the Walker family has their family history on the site and it has been so helpful with photos of the family and also many grave stones. I am amazed at how much information I was able to obtain thanks to the person who put their family tree online.  My email is (*) if it is easier for you to contact me.
Becky

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline AmyCunningham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 June 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this platform but have a snuff box belonging to Peter Walker of "Tipithill" ...I'm not looking to sell it but I think you'd find photos thrilling. Are we allowed to post photos here? It shows a man and two horses ploughing on front side, a nice healthy steer on the other...little oak box with removable lid, super pretty. I "inherited" from a friend in McLean, VA, who gave me  box of strange things belonging to her home's former resident...it was an abandoned box of little antique things and this snuff box was in that. I've kept it for years but tonight came online to just Google Peter Walker "Tipithill." Inside the box is this handwritten note: Great great grand father Peter Walker. Mother was Agnes Andrews who was daughter of elizabeth Patton who was daughter of Robert Burns." I checked that and the great poet Robert Burns DID have a daughter out of wedlock named Elizabeth Paton (not two ts)...so that's pretty cool!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 June 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
Monica that Flickr photo you posted seems to be elsewhere in West Lothian. It looks familiar to me somehow.

I've only just caught up with this thread, but I recognised the Flickr image instantly. It's Knock Farm from The Knock. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3670355
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 June 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy,
That is so fascinating. Yes I think you can insert the photo by going to the image under the B in the reply.  It would be great to have a copy. He would be my first cousin  x5 removed. I will have to look into the Patton and Burns link. Thanks for letting me know.

Becky

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 June 16 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy,
I did my own research and Peter Walker's mother Agnes Andrew was born 1790 so she could not be the daughter of Elizabeth Patton as Elizabeth Paton the daughter of Robert Burns was born 1785. Also she married John Bishop in 1807.

Becky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 June 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 June 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
hi there just to know that tippithill is not to close to bathgat but nearer to whitburn it lies about 3oo yards north of whitburn on the road to armadale

Tippethill is geographically closer to the present town of Whitburn than it is to the present town of Bathgate. However it is north of the River Almond, and the River Almond is the boundary between the parish of Bathgate to the north and the parish of Whitburn to the south. Therefore it is in (the parish of) Bathgate, not (the parish of) Whitburn.

Monica posted a link to photographs taken around Tippethill, which is in grid square NS9465 in the Ordnance Survey map. See the map at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS9465

In Scottish genealogy it's critically important to know which parish you are dealing with. All the pre-1855 records were collected on the basis of parishes. So when it says, 'Tippethill, Bathgate' what it is telling you is that Tippethill is in the parish of Bathgate. It just so happens that the main town in the parish has the same name as the parish in the case of Bathgate and Whitburn, but that isn't necessarily the case. The largest town in the parish of New Monkland is Airdrie, and the largest village in the parish of Dunnichen is Letham.

Road maps are pretty much useless for genealogy because they don't show all the small places, individual farms and houses. You need a map with a scale of 1:50,000 or more detailed. There are historic maps of Scotland at http://maps.nls.uk/series/index.html - go for the Ordnance Survey, Six-inch to the mile, 1st edition - 1843-1882 as a first step. If you want the NG Ref for Tippethill it is NS943659.