Author Topic: BALLARD, Cwmyoy  (Read 3129 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
BALLARD, Cwmyoy
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 08:13 BST (UK) »
I have papers for estate of a William BALLARD, farmer, of Cwmyoy, dated 10 July, 1819.  Administration of his estate was granted to John BALLARD,of Cwmyoy, farmer, "one of the sons and next of kins of the said deceased".  Obviously the death of William was before July 1810.

Any information about either of these men and their families would be most welcome.  I see a death for a John BALLARD aged 48 in Cwmyoy in 1830 (thus b abt 1782), who could possibly be the John who was administrator.

I am hoping to find if there is a connection with this family
James BALLARD, baptised on 17 June 1770 at Cwmyoy.
His wife is Joan (possibly Joan PRICE)
Children:
Joan Ballard baptised 27 Sep 1800 Cwmyoy
John Ballard b. 4 Aug 1806, d. b 1881 Cwmyoy
3 or 4 other children born in Clodock, then
William Ballard b 1816, Crickhowell

I see deaths in Cantref for James (1850) and Joan (1847) BALLARD.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BALLARD, Cwmyoy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 15 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Just giving this a bump up in hopes someone may be able to help.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Giving another boost!

Judith

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Here's a bit about William Ballard.
Children baptised at Cwmyoy
Anne 3.3.1773
William 2.4.1775

It looks like William was baptised 28.6.1750 son of Maximillian  Ballard

And he seems to have married Ann Phillips 3.5.1772  wit Maximillian  Ballard and James Phillips

James Ballard baptised 17.6. 1770 is the son of Margaret Ballard as you know.
Margaret is the daughter of Maximillian Ballard baptised 20 Aug 1748
Other daughter Mary baptised 25.4.1752 .She married Samuel Davies 12 Nov 1790.

So looks like James is William's nephew

Does that match up?

ps there is a suggestion Max came from Warwickshire and his wife was Sophia.

Ciderdrinker

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, ciderdrinker.

Yes, these BALLARDs were in Mancetter, Warwickshire (for which there are very good records on-line!) The furthest back date I have is a marriage between a Maximilian BALLARD with Anne BROWNE in 1686.  Their son Talbot BALLARD was the father of the Maximilian (b 1723 Mancetter, died 1781 Cwmyoy) who went to Cwmyoy.  He was in Cwmyoy by the baptism of his first child, Margaret in 1748.

Sophia BALLARD, wife/widow of Maximilian was buried January 1783. Her son William was granted administration of her estate later that year

I have the baptism of William,

And now a probable death date of 1830 for William's son John who was granted administraion of William's estate in 1819.

I would love to find any more about Margaret, baptised 1748, as she is my husband's direct ancestor through her son James BALLARD.

The other puzzle I have is Sophia - i cannot find a marriage for Maximilian and Sophia.  Were they married in Cwmyoy or before then?

There is also a puzzle of a Maximilian BALLARD transported to the US for sheep stealing in Cwmyoy in 1761.  I am not sure how he fits in - was he an older child of Maximilian and Sophia?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764512.msg6162597#msg6162597

While the common use of the forename Maximilian in this family has made untangling them a bit tricky at least they're reasonably easy to find. Trying to untangle the Williams is maddening as they are in each generation and sometimes more than one of them.  My husband's nephew aged about 40 is a William BALLARD.

Judith