Author Topic: BALLARD burial Cantref  (Read 5106 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
BALLARD burial Cantref
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
Parish register index on FreeReg shows burials for James BALLARD 1850, and Joan BALLARD 1847 at Cantref.

I cannot see them in 1841 and have no information about them from 1816 when their son William was baptised in Crickhowell.  James was a miller at Clodock and Crickhowell. 

Any information would be great - this is what I have:

James BALLARD, baptised on 17 June 1770 at Cwmyoy.
m  Joan PRICE 1799 Cwmyoy
Children:
Joan Ballard baptised 27 Sep 1800 Cwmyoy
John Ballard b. 4 Aug 1806, d. b 1881 Cwmyoy
3 or 4 other children born in Clodock (I have the details), then
William Ballard b 1816, Crickhowell

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: BALLARD burial Cantref
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
Burials @ St Mary, Cantref, Breconshire:-
January 17th, 1847, Joan BALLARD, aged 74
March 11th, 1850, James BALLARD, aged 79
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 12 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Victor.  I'm 99% sure this is the same couple who were born and married in Cwmyoy as the ages fit with the birth dates that I have.  I can't see them at all though in 1841.  And wondering where they were between 1817 and 1847.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 12 09:02 BST (UK) »
The Hereford Times of 13th April 1850 mentions the sudden death of Mr Ballard, miller, Cantref, and the efforts of his daughter to have an inquest.
“the wife of another man was living in adulterous intercourse with the deceased at the time of his death. This fact was alone sufficient to raise a suspicion that the sudden death of the deceased was occasioned by poison.” “inquiry had proved that the death was occasioned by perfectly natural causes”

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
 :o

Thanks Dave.  Is the Hereford Times on-line at all?

James' wife had died in 1847 so I guess the adulterer was 'the wife of another man'  I note that James' burial was on FreeReg so at least the church allowed him to be buried there!

Wondering who the busy-body daughter was?????

At least that confirms that he was a miller so looks as though it is definitely my man (well, my husband's ancestor - no hanky-panky in my family  ::))

Seriously - many thanks and if you can tell me how to get a copy of the paper I will be even more pleased.  Unfortunately the Hereford Times is not on the British Library's 19C newspapers.

Judith

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
"British Newspaper Archive" can be searched for free and then credits or subscription bought to see actual newspaper.
I visit Hereford library who have hard copy or on film

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 October 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
I registered but the site seems to think I am going to pay - can't find how to access the free credits.  No matter the National Library here has a library subscription so I can access it there.  Once again, thank you.

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks, Dave.  I was able to access the paper and read the article at the National Library Australia.

Cheers, Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
Further to this thread, but a long-shot I know!

Does anybody have access to the churchyard at Cantref?  I wonder if James and Joan BALLARD had a headstone by any chance.

Judith