Author Topic: Josephine Haveron (Larne)  (Read 8006 times)

Offline littlecot

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine Haveron (Larne)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 13 March 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I am now really confused about the parents of my friends Josephine Haveron born about 1922 Larne. My friend had always assumed her grandmothers name was Christine and the father possibly Joe but remembers a William being mentioned.From the little her mother said about the family. I can find nothing on Josephine with these details. Is this possibly because one was catholic and the other not this she knows to be true. Josephine's grandparents were definitely Patrick and Sarah Haveron as my friend  remembers being told her grandmother Sarah died on the beach. She also remembers Glynne road and also visiting Ella Bowen.She believes Josephine's mother died shortly after she was born and was brought up by Patrick and Sarah. Josephine placed a notice in the Larne times after the death of her grandfather  giving the names Josie & Leonard of Essex which is correct. I just need to find who was the actual parents of Josephine were but keep drawing blanks. I can find no birth or baptism for Josephine . Is it possible that Josephine was illegitimate and therefore possibly the child of one of the other daughters  and the names Christine and Joe are fictitious?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »

Have to be heading, so posting this quote from 1928 Larne Times to remind me to check it further later:

into the circumstances attendant upon the death a young Larne woman named Agnes Haveron, Bank Road, who was rescued from drowning at the Bankheads on the previous day

A Patrick Haveron was noted as her father and she was aged 23.

Just to close off on this, a Belfast Newsletter article of 5 April 1928 described a woman walking along the seashore near the Chaine Memorial (at the mouth of Larne Harbour), when she noticed a woman's hat in the grass and a woman struggling in the water a short distance from the shore, with the assistance of 2 men they recovered the woman and applied artificial respiration, but the woman never regained consciousness and died the previous evening to the newspaper article (4 April).  The newspaper article also confirmed the identity of the deceased - 23 year old Agnes Haveron of 52 Glynn Road, Larne.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »

... I am now really confused about the parents of my friends Josephine Haveron born about 1922 Larne. My friend had always assumed her grandmothers name was Christine and the father possibly Joe but remembers a William being mentioned ... ... ... She believes Josephine's mother died shortly after she was born and was brought up by Patrick and Sarah ...

Some things to consider.

1. (Transcribed as) William Henry Hevron with a date of birth given as 19 January 1897 was baptised in St. MacNissi's RC Church, Larne, on 30 January that year, the parents given as Patrick Hevron and Sarah Hamill, the record annotated to say he was illegitimate. That fits reasonably with the William in the previously posted 1901 and 1911 census returns for Patrick Haveron and Sarah Hamill (reply #25) who married in 1900.

2. William Henry Haveron (labourer) of 52 Glynn Road Larne, son of Patrick Haveron (labourer), married Christina Mahoney of Larne in St. Cedma's Church of Ireland on 6 January 1922, her father was James Mahoney (tailor) and one of the witnesses was Josephine Haveron.

3. Christina Haveron, a married domestic servant of 1 Church Lane, Larne, died of TB on 9 June 1923 with a reported age of 29, the death was registered in Antrim registration district. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I think this is Josephine's birth 1894- Josephina, mother Sarah Hamill-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1894/02243/1844662.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but seems to have been forgotten.

John Hamill born 1892- illegitimate, mother Sarah Hamill-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=620460.27
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »

... I just need to find who was the actual parents of Josephine were but keep drawing blanks. I can find no birth or baptism for Josephine. Is it possible that Josephine was illegitimate ...?

Not sure where you've been looking, but a birth for 1922 (give or take a year or so) wouldn't be available online from 'official' sources (too recent), the potential parents I've posted above at reply #38 are a starting point to pursue, you might also want to pursue a Josephine Mahoney birth just to cover that angle as well.