Author Topic: Any ideas what it says ?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Any ideas what it says ?
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
The couple I'm really interested in are James Wallace and Agnes, but I see above is a William Wallace and this double baptism seems to be linked by a hyphen so possibly they are related. The name under the blotch is Janet  (Huison) but where are they in.The two words are not in capitals as I would expect if it was a place name, though the first letter of the word after them does appear to be a capital. I have a few ideas but will see what anyone else thinks, also I'm probably wrong ;D

As for John and Agnes, wherever they were in is lost, the whole page is tattered. It's Kirknewton and East Calder by the way.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas what it says ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
The first part of the placename is "easter", the second looks like "camp". Have a look at Roy's map (1747-55) on the National Library of Scotland maps site and it might show the place.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi GR2, I had thought the second looked like camp and had toyed with easter but was having trouble finding another 'S' that looked like this. I do agree with you that easter camp looks the most likely, what or where it was I haven't located yet.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
"Wittnesses" down below also has the long s.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
I noticed that but it didn't seem to look the same.Then again looking over the page,there are a variety of S shapes. I wondered if it could have been some temporary habitation but can't think why.All I know is it is likely to have been in the area between Ratho and Kirknewton.

Thanks for your suggestions too.

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Easter Camps can be seen on this map from 1832.

1832 map showing Easter Camps

Looks like it was around what is now the west side of Wilkieston.

Current OS map showing the area where Easter Camps was

ADP

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
As very much a beginner on place names, may I venture:

Camp = field

Easter = eastern, not the feast day

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, easter is as common as east in placenames. Camp is not too unusual. There are lots of earthworks, some from the Iron Age, some Roman or later which are called sometimes called camps.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
My take on it (I haven't read any of the rest of the thread yet)

Febr 5th 1727 The which day William Wallace and Janet Huison in the easter corry ... baptized named Mary  -  Also James wallace and Agnes Farrier in .... had a .... baptized named John Wittnesses to both William Howison .... Hunter

Edit: Having read the rest of the thread now, I agree that it could be camp not corry.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.