Author Topic: Amitie 0r Amy DYE  (Read 1412 times)

Offline patamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amitie 0r Amy DYE
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with baptism date, antecedents etc of this lady who married Edmund Jewell at Norwich Cathedral in 1713 when she was recorded to have been "of Aylsham"?

Grateful for any help.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Amitie 0r Amy DYE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 12 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Patamac,

Oh dear, I think you've got your work cut out to find this one!

Freereg have transcribed the Aylsham Parish Registers from 1658 to 1901, and though there are several Dye baptisms for the late 1600's, I couldn't see one for an Amy Dye in the right time frame.

The actual registers have been filmed by the LDS church and are online and free to view .... but they are in a sorry state.

Here's the first page of the Aylsham register for the dates 1653-1739 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11009-28712-59?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-S4P:252272362

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I notice from the marriage you mentioned in 1713, that both Edmund and Amy were of different parishes, and I wondered whether they had applied for a marriage licence.

The parishes - Aylsham and Brancaster - were in different Archdeaconries - and I believe in such cases, the Bishop of Norwich would grant the licence.

It may be that if you found it, the marriage bond would give a little more information ... but not always!

Again, Family Search has made many of these marriage bonds available, but it is a long task to search through them.  There is no index, no date order, no parish order .... in fact very higgledy piggledy.   ::)

I was lucky enough to find one for my family which showed the grooms occupation, and the name of the bride's father, though it took a long time to find.

There are two separate lists for the bonds of 1713 - and over 500 pages in each ....

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0rxt/

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline patamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
yorkslass

Thank you for your suggestions. I am currently trawling through the Aylsham parish registers thanks to your helpful link. they are so confusing that I think it will take quite some time! I had wondered about a marriage licence but wasn't sure where to look so that will be my next project.

I do appreciate your help.

Pat

Offline Bounty1789

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Try North Walsham Edmund Jewell  Dye born 1780 brother of my ancestor Adam born 1781