Author Topic: Children of Sir Thomas Greene and Mary Talbot  (Read 4201 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Children of Sir Thomas Greene and Mary Talbot
« on: Sunday 21 October 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
Evening all

I’m trying to find out more about the children of Sir Thomas Greene (d.1417) and Mary Talbot (d.1433) of Green’s Norton in Northamptonshire.

According to various sources, that they had a son, also called Thomas, who was born c.1400 in Green Norton. This Thomas was the 2nd Great Grandfather of Catherine Parr, sixth and last Queen of Henry VIII, therefore details on his descendants are documented fairly well

My interest in the Green family lies in what other children were born to Thomas and Mary. Some websites document that they had a daughter, Margaret, who married a Richard Ardren (Arderne), and produced a daughter Alice Arden, who married into the De Denne family of Denne Hill, Kingston, Kent, who are my ancestors

The problem is that so far I haven’t found any creditable evidence that this Margaret is a daughter of Thomas and Mary, or that she is the wife and mother of Richard and Alice

If there is anyone out there that has knowledge of the Greene family or who can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful

Regards
Lee

Offline MatthewD76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Sir Thomas Greene and Mary Talbot
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
Evening all

I’m trying to find out more about the children of Sir Thomas Greene (d.1417) and Mary Talbot (d.1433) of Green’s Norton in Northamptonshire.

According to various sources, that they had a son, also called Thomas, who was born c.1400 in Green Norton. This Thomas was the 2nd Great Grandfather of Catherine Parr, sixth and last Queen of Henry VIII, therefore details on his descendants are documented fairly well

My interest in the Green family lies in what other children were born to Thomas and Mary. Some websites document that they had a daughter, Margaret, who married a Richard Ardren (Arderne), and produced a daughter Alice Arden, who married into the De Denne family of Denne Hill, Kingston, Kent, who are my ancestors

The problem is that so far I haven’t found any creditable evidence that this Margaret is a daughter of Thomas and Mary, or that she is the wife and mother of Richard and Alice

If there is anyone out there that has knowledge of the Greene family or who can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful

Regards
Lee

I have some information on them somewhere. I will try and dig it out at the weekend for you.

Matt

Offline RonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
hi Lee, did you eventually get this sorted? I have exactly the same question, some years after you, and there still does not seem to be either a definitive confirmation or source for Margaret Greene being the circa 1410 daughter of Mary Talbot and Sir Thomas Green. It seems someone came to that conclusion at one point and subsequent researchers adopted it in their genealogies... Ron

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no. For the time being this is one brickwall that is staying up :(

Offline RonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying. I am trying to track down a copy of the Spring 1999 issue of The Genealogist to see if any light is shed in the article entitled :THE SIR THOMAS GRE[E]NES OF GREENE’S NORTON. Have you seen it?

The lineage of Richard Ardern, presumptive husband of Margaret Greene, also looks interesting according to various genealogies posted online, but seems equally difficult to credibly verify. Have you researched it and reached any conclusions?