Author Topic: Denby family, Snaith to America?  (Read 4092 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Denby family, Snaith to America?
« on: Monday 22 October 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am tracing the Denby family of the Snaith area in Yorkshire and suspect that at least one of them left the area and went to America in the mid 18th to 19th century, could someone please give me a tip as to where I could start to look for any information which would help me prove or indeed disprove this theory.
Best regards always
jess5athome :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Denby family, Snaith to America?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
In addition to my earlier post I have found out that the person was possibly Peter Denby born in Cowick Yorkshire about 1805 and he may have left England with a brother named Thomas who was slightly older than he was.
Many thanks in anticipation and as always my very best regards.
jess5athome
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know if these records are relevant or linked:

1841 census  HO107  1307  10/10  12  Snaith/Cowick

Ann Denby b.1771
Thomas Denby  b.1803
Peter Denby b.1806
(plus others)
There are possible entries for these in 1851 but:-

Family Search has
Peter Denby born England 1806
Resident Macoupin Illinois 1850
There seem to be a number of other Denby's born England,slightly later also resident in Ilinois.
Not sure how you identify this Peter Denby more closely.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
This site has Denby's from Cowick,possibly the later ones as above including a Thomas who looks as if he fought and died in the Civil War

http://macoupinctygenealogy.org/cemetery/denby.html

This may show that the Peter Denby above arrived 1834(probaby not the 1841 census Peter Denby-though he could have travelled back and forth I suppose)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ry1/

Regards
Roger

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Despair, many many thanks for the links included with your kind reply, the information has sent my heart racing.
Could I be a pain in the b*tt and ask if you know of anywhere I could find a passenger list of Liverpool to New York sailings for around the year 1830?.
I have a subscription to Ance*$%y but it does not cover me to look at anything like that within there records.
Once again many thanks for your previous kind reply and as always my very best regards.
jess5athome :-[

Offline PLUCKROSE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jess,
             You kindly responded to my recent request for help with nautical terms.  I too am searching for an ancestor who went to the USA in the 19th century, and found my answer on the following website:-

www.castlegarden.org.

You will find a whole host of Denby family members listed.  I hope that this helps.

Regards

Pluckrose
Jackman,  Edmunds,  Robertson, Robinson, Hoddy, Oddy, Evans, Cooper, Pluckrose

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
I too am searching for an ancestor who went to the USA in the 19th century, and found my answer on the following website:-

www.castlegarden.org.

You will find a whole host of Denby family members listed.  I hope that this helps.

Just remember that Castle Garden website only covers New York arrivals. You might also need to consider Boston, Philadelphia or even Canada as a place of entry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, many thanks for your replies,
Hi Pluckrose,I put the information that I have into the search area on Castlegarden but still came up with no results, so perhaps I am doing something wrong?, I thought that they went from Liverpool to New York but I will try to find passenger lists from other locations as aghadowey has kindly  said once I have found any relevant web sites.
Regards,
jess5athome

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the following is the Denby info referred to

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ryk/

However,Peter Denby(27),travelling in 1834 is with a William Denby(45),and there does not appear to be a Thomas Denby of the right age in the entire list,although the search conducted only goes up to 1860.

I have tried looking on the N.America list of www.the shipslist.com without success so far.

Regards
Roger