Author Topic: Newlands Cottage, Millom  (Read 4649 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Newlands Cottage, Millom
« on: Monday 22 October 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
My 3 x g.grandparents lived at Newlands Cottage between 1871 and 1888 (he died in 1877, she in 1888 at the cottage).

Does anyone know exactly where this cottage would have been?  On the 1881 census it is shown in Chapel Sucken on the census list after Hemplands Farm.  I can't find the address in 1891 but on the 1901 census, it is in Haverigg and comes after Hemplands Farm and before Scale Hook Farms, Gilgarth, Stanton House and 6 Caton Street.  On the 1911 census, it is shown as in Millom between Hemplands Farm and 6 Green Street, Haverigg.

(It's possible that Green Street and Caton Street were joined together, probably by a path across the fields, although this isn't shown on Google streetview).

Does anyone know exactly where these cottages were (there are 2 on some census)?  I can see some terraced houses on Main Street, diagonally opposite North Lane and one has a date 1729 (I think), so at least some old property is still standing.

I've attached a small portion of the map showing a bit of Main st (yellow and North Lane (A is Hemplands Farm or thereabouts), B is 6 Green Street.

Would Newlands Cottages have been part of the row on Green St, alternatively turning left onto main street and on the opposite side there is a building that could have been 2 cottages being renovated. 

Many thanks
Lizzie

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newlands Cottage, Millom
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

I have an old North West Postal Address book (1995) and it lists a Newland Cottage as being on North Lane. 

I have just had a look on Google maps and it is the last house on the left before the fields (going out of Haverigg) .  The sign on the gate says Newlands Cottage.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have just had a look on Google maps and it is the last house on the left before the fields (going out of Haverigg) .  The sign on the gate says Newlands Cottage.

Good find! :)

Here http://tinyurl.com/8t87fsm
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting the link Geoff  :)  I am hopeless at doing that.

Mo
Added:  I have just found it named on the www.old-maps.co.uk site on the 1969 map.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Added:  I have just found it named on the www.old-maps.co.uk site on the 1969 map.

So it is!  I only looked at the older maps earlier  ::)

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=315396,479053
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 12 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, that's great.  It looks as though it's one cottage now and still not very large. 

I'm used to census sheets being in order, up one side of the street and down the other, so I've no idea how the census sheets were compiled during the years that place was listed.

Lizzie

ps.  Somehow I expected it to be near to a river.  My 3 x g.grandfather was a labourer or ag.lab on all the census, but his death certificate gave his occupation as a Fisherman.  ???  The informant was his wife, so I've no idea why she gave that occupation, especially as he was 76 when he died, having suffered a stroke 11 months previous to his death and then another one 3 days before his death.  Perhaps he took up fishing after he retired from ag.labouring.

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
A lot of the men used to go fishing there. During the war we lived on fish caught by the next door neighbour and they were gorgeous, freshly caught from the sea. It was mainly a part time occupation and free too. I know that cottage too, it is on the way to what is now Haverigg Prison but during the war was an RAF station.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info Pat.  I was just surprised that my 3 x g.gran had described her husband as a Fisherman on his death cert, when for all his life and up to the 1871 census (he died 1877) he was an agricultural labourer, which makes sense considering where he was born and lived.

Lizzie

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 11:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I suppose it was a good way of supplementing their income....and also a good way of getting the men out of the house! Its a lovely place, sea on one side and country on the other.