Author Topic: Newlands Cottage, Millom  (Read 4652 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Newlands Cottage, Millom
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
I think it's time we took a holiday around the area, I have lots of descendants from the area, not all on the same part of my family tree either.  Unfortunately, they all left and went to towns and cities like Hull, Manchester etc. for work I suppose.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
Lizzie,
You should get up here for a holiday,
The Millom and Duddon area is beautiful.
Millom museum,on the railway station, is small but full of old photographs,
I was surprised to find one of my own grandmother,and great grandfather at an agricultural show,some thing we didn't have,and the staff were happy to have them scanned for us,
Are your great grandparents buried at St Luke or in Millom,
If he was buried Millom ,I will find if possible in advance his grave for you,
burial date 7Th Jan 1877 aged 76
married Broughton, Dorothy Chorley,1834,another beautiful place to visit,
let me know nearer the time,Iam about 20 minutes from Millom, and visit Haverigg regulary,on the airfield,not the prison,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.  We do tend to have a holiday in UK every year, usually about a week looking at areas we don't know, or just following in my ancestors footsteps. 

As my husband's ancestors all came from the same area, and we know it well as we used to live nearby, we don't have to follow in his ancestors footsteps which is great as mine came from all over England.

My 3 x g.grandparents were both buried in Holy Trinity Church, as were my 4 x g.grandparents Robert Middleton and Elisabeth (nee Benson).  I don't think they have a gravestone as I have a CD of Gravestone Inscriptions of Holy Trinity Church, Millom (which I bought on line from Millom Folk Museum Society and their names are not listed.  There are some Middletons but I've not checked out whether there is a connection.

Lizzie

It seems that Dorothy Middleton (nee Chorley) was born in Muncaster which I see from a map of Cumbria is not that far away.  Other ancestors came from Ulverston and Dalton in Furness.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Same as me then Lizzie,my Steeles were up at Ravenglass and ,Bootle and made there way down to Millom and Haverigg,before the next generation came to Dalton In Furness,where I intend to stay for ever,as its a great community to live in,
the burials should be in Barrow archives ,Holy Trinity is very well kept church yard and I do know there is a number for grave enquiries on the church notice board,or there was the last time I went there,its quite a walk from Haverigg to this church,and there is an old track across the fields from Holborn Hill,my great Uncle George Bibby,Uncle George Bibby and Great grandfather Thomas are buried there,the rest of the family are down at Haverigg.
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
I have a CD of Gravestone Inscriptions of Holy Trinity Church, Millom (which I bought on line from Millom Folk Museum Society and their names

I couldn't open this CD on my laptop for some reason yesterday, I kept getting a message that it was blank, so my OH opened it on his PC, copied it to a memory stick and then I added it to my laptop.

Looking at the CD today, I realised I had already found my 4 x g.grandparents Robert and Elisabeth (Betsey) Middleton listed, plus 3 of their children who died as young children, plus their unmarried son Robert who died aged 63, plus their married daughter Mary and her husband John Spencer, plus two unmarried daughters Nancy and Jane who were lodging house keepers in Gosforth.  The reference is HT/A/176 and a comment states Upright stone, good to read; etching top centre - pattern.

The next grave reference HT/A/177 is for Archibald Campbell, the son of Elizabeth Middleton who died aged 3yrs 9months.  Comment states Upright cross, difficult to read; etching of head top centre.

Interestingly on the 1871 census, the unmarried son Robert, plus Elizabeth Middleton (who is the daughter of Hannah Middleton another daughter of Robert Middleton and his wife Elisabeth -Betsey), plus 2 young children, Mary Ann aged 3 the son of Harriet Middleton (another daughter of Hannah Middleton) and Archibald aged 9 months, the son of Elizabeth Middleton were all living with John Spencer and his wife Mary (nee Middleton).

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 17:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it was the Middleton family, or just life in general in the Millom area mid 1800s, but I've never come across so many illegitimate children in one generation as with this family.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 21:10 BST (UK) »
Quite common in this area,to be illegitimate,
it amazed me to find so many of my family were,whoops ,hope my old Auntie doesn't read this,she would be horrified,

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 October 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Well there was nothing else to do in Haverigg!!!

Offline CJ59

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 October 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
My 3g grandparents the Browns also lived at Newlands Cottage Haverigg, Lizzie, presumably after your grandparents. Their eldest son was born in 1896 - I assume there, though the first mention of them living at Newlands I can find, was in a newspaper report of George's death in the First World War.