Author Topic: Titley-Lovatt-Stubbs-Pettigrew in Hanley Stoke-on-Trent  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Domingo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Titley-Lovatt-Stubbs-Pettigrew in Hanley Stoke-on-Trent
« on: Monday 22 October 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
I am attaching this wedding photo of I think the Titley family hoping someone will recognise anyone on it, or can give me more information. Also I think this is such a nice photo.

The details are, the youngest bridesmaid’s just behind brides/grooms mothers are my Aunty Annie and Aunty Sally (who is 84 this year) they are twins born 1928 and my grandmother made the bridesmaid dresses. Names Aunty Sally remembers are Ethel, Matilda, Billy and maybe a William and a Walter.

I have found on the 1911 census my grandfather Thomas Pettigrew lodging with Samuel and Eliza Lovatt at 4 Chester Street Hanley, Eliza’s maiden name was Stubbs and she is my Great Grand Aunty. On a separate 1911 census form at 4 Chester Street Hanley living in one room are William and Matilda Titley with their son William Edward Titley.

This family may be connected to a previous post of mine, regarding my Aunty Sally living in a pub with an Aunty of my Granddad in 1928 when my grandmother was ill after the birth of the twins.

Mary

Offline Earl Davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Titley-Lovatt-Stubbs-Pettigrew in Hanley Stoke-on-Trent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 12 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary.

That sounds like my wife's family. I assume you are the Mary descended from Harriett Stubbs who ws the sister of my wife's ancestor Louisa Stubbs?

Earl.

Offline Domingo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Earl,

my great grandmother Harriet born 1862 Hanley had a sister called Louise b 1864 Hanley is this the connection I have with your wife? I do hope so.

I am sending you a Personal Message with my e mail details.

Mary

Offline Earl Davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Louisa married Walter Frederick Stephenson in 1882 at Holy Trinity. Their daughter Sarah Helen had a son William (known as Bill) and then married Alfred Titley in 1903. They had four childen. She later married James Henry Brooks in 1925. She was my wife's great grandmother.

My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bw40984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that the Alfred Titley mentioned is part of my family tree. He was or would have been my 2nd cousin 2 x removed: Extract from my file for Alfred:
 "Alfred J Titley (1879 - 1924)
Alfred was the son of Richard and Sarah Titley, born in Uttoxeter in October 1879.
In 1891[60] Alfred aged 12, was living with his parents Richard, aged 34 & Sarah A, aged 33 and his 5 siblings; Frederick, aged 13, Lucy aged 10, Elizabeth aged 6, Annie aged 3 and Richard aged 2 months.
In 1901[98] Alfred aged 22, (a Collier & Hewer) was living with Mary Simpson (a char washerwoman from Huddersfield Yorkshire) aged 56 & her son Alfred aged 15, ( a colour printers labourer) at 42 Sydney St. Hanley
Alfred married Sarah Helen Stephenson at St. John’s Hanley on the 22nd February in 1903(46/7/005). They had 5 children; Josephine Annie, Doris, Alfred George Thomas, Louisa May and Albert Enoch.
In 1911[99] Alfred (a railway engine fireman) aged 31 and his wife Sarah (a pottery sponger) aged 29, were living with his in-laws, Walter and Louisa Stephenson and their adopted son William (known as bill) aged 10, at 37 Plough St. Hanley ( a 4 roomed dwelling). Alfred and Sarah’s children; Josephine Annie aged 7, Doris aged 3 and Alfred George Thomas aged 3 months were also living with them.
In 1918 Alfred aged 40, was living at 64 Loftus St. Hanley whilst serving in the army in WWI"

Offline Earl Davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 08:41 GMT (UK) »
It looks like there are two different Alfred Titley's in the mix here. The Alfred John Titley who married Sarah Helen Stephenson was (according to his marriage certificate) the son of Alfred Titley, a biscuit placer. Alfred and Sarah later divorced and both remarried. Alfred's second wife was Emma Boote. He died 23 Oct 1924 at Hartshill in the North Stafford Infirmary.

Earl.

Offline bw40984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the correction I've amended my tree to reflect your advice.