Author Topic: Ridley Villas, Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 12552 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ridley Villas, Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 April 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
Ridley Villas Trivia.

Newcastle Central Library ( on New Bridge Street) holds a useful map of Newcastle of 1830. The map annotates houses and buildings with names of owners/occupiers.

Ridley Villas is a row of 10 detached buildings on the north side of the road, an "island" surrounded by cultivated open land.  The first four (from the town centre direction) and last four buildings are divided as semi-detached. The fifth (middle) building has no division.  In front of the first building is a smaller building called the Toll House. And across the road the Toll Bar is marked ( a barrier to enable collection of passing fees for traffic.

The index shows that Sir Matthew White Ridley, M.P., owns the Toll House and one or two of the detached houses.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Michael for the Ridley Trivia
I have evidence that the family I am researching LUNN, lived in  Ridley Villas at least by 1827 (house No not confirmed) and up to the death of my gggg grandmother in 1836 but had left by the 1841 Census. James Lunn was a Ship and Insurance broker, he went bankrupt in 1841, then his brother John Lunn appears in the 1851 Census as living at No 1 Ridley Villas. At this point I am not sure if it is the same property or if they ever owned or just rented.
I hope in the near future to be able to spend a day in Newcastle to extend my research at the library as before the became respectable Ship brokers they ran a Public House under what is now the law courts which sounds much more interesting. Would this 1830 map also have on public houses in Spicer Lane as I am interested in one called The Phoenix?

Thanks again for your interest
Carol

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Michael for the Ridley Trivia
I have evidence that the family I am researching LUNN, lived in  Ridley Villas at least by 1827 (house No not confirmed) and up to the death of my gggg grandmother in 1836 but had left by the 1841 Census. James Lunn was a Ship and Insurance broker, he went bankrupt in 1841, then his brother John Lunn appears in the 1851 Census as living at No 1 Ridley Villas. At this point I am not sure if it is the same property or if they ever owned or just rented.
I hope in the near future to be able to spend a day in Newcastle to extend my research at the library as before the became respectable Ship brokers they ran a Public House under what is now the law courts which sounds much more interesting. Would this 1830 map also have on public houses in Spicer Lane as I am interested in one called The Phoenix?

Thanks again for your interest
Carol

Newcastle is a lovely place to visit, and the archives are in the Discovery Museum building  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 May 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
 Carol,

A browse thu Newcastle Trade Directories.....

Pigot 1822. John Lunn, The Phoenix, Spicer Lane

Pigot  1829  John Lunn, The Pheonix, Spicer Lane.

Commercial Directory. 1833/4.
  John Lunn, Victualler, Turks Head, 14,Quayside.
  James Lunn, Ship & Insurance broker, 31, Quayside.
                     Residence 8,Ridley Villas.

Commercial Directory. 1839.
  John Lunn, vict., Turks Head, 14,Quayside.
  James Lunn, Ship & Insurance Broker, 31 Quayside
                    Residence 52 Leazes Terrace.

Commercial Directory. 1841.
  John Lunn, Turks Head, 14, Quayside
  J.Lunn, Ship and Insurance Broker, Coal Fitter, "Three Indian Kings, Quayside.
   ----------------------------------------

Ward's 1851 has brewer William Welford at 1 Ridley Villas, J. Lunn at 2 Ridley Villas.
  ( Ridley Villas numbered 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, then 19, then 10.)

Internet shows at least one foto of opening of Spicer Lane off Quayside.
And William Welford at the brewery in Spicer Lane, and three more unnamed
 taverns- and mention of a Frederick Lunn !

Source: Newcastle Central Library.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 19:51 BST (UK) »
Michael
A big thank you for all the trade directory references. My earliest was for Frederick Lunn at the Phoenix, Spicer lane in 1827 from a reference in the Newcastle Courant, downloaded from  the British Newspaper Achieve, on line site. it now seems that brother John was running it before, in 1822 then after in 1828, then the family end up living next door to William Welford who possible owned the Phoenix. The newspaper archive provided lots of advert references to James Lunn through his business interests. I have found the image you mentioned and also there was a watercolour painting of Spicer Lane by an artist called Mr Frank Thompson, he also did Broad Chare. Using the 1861 map of Newcastle I have a list of the 4 inns/taverns in Spicer Lane and the position of the Brewery owned by Welford, obviously the Phoenix got renamed so I will try to use a process of deduction to work out which one it was , it is such a shame that they all now form the foundations of the law courts and the Three Indian Kings seems have been redeveloped into apartments, how much of the original building remains behind the glass façade is doubtful.

As you are obviously a regular visitor to the Newcastle Central Library would you advise booking  the use of e.g. fiche readers in advance of a visit and is there a 'quiet day' during the week? I am currently making a list of all my 'target' bits of information I want to find out about when I make my visit to Newcastle so I can make full use of my day.

Thanks again
Carol

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
 Carol,
 There is no booking system for fiche and film readers- there are many fiche readers so no inconvenience there.  There are about six film readers and sometimes they are all taken, usually Saturdays !  BMDs , Parish records, etc on fiches. Back newspapers on film.

My Newcastle Library membership gets me online access to the UK newspaper archive.

Michael,
 Newcastle

Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 May 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the info, I might be able to visit Newcastle in the next couple of weeks and hopefully collect additional info to help with my research
Carol

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

Though this thread is a couple of years old, I hope that you are still here.

I too have an interest in #91. From an article in the British Medical Journal, 16 April 1921, that is given as the address of Dr. W. H. Dickinson, sometime Tuberculosis Officer for Newcastle and nephew of Dr. John Dickinson, medical missionary with Livingstone in Africa.

http://www.hayloft.eu/tyneside%20martyr.html

I don't yet know if that was WHD's home address or his office address. Did you come across the surname Dickinson in your researches there?

The Dickinsons, originally from Jarrow, are one of my problem families. I lose track of them after early WWI.

Dr W. H. Dickinson was the son of William Henry Dickinson, longtime Alderman and sometime Mayor of Jarrow and his wife Anne Mary Lee, daughter of a South Shields shipowner.

Dr. W. H. Dickinson was the grandson of John Dickinson, butcher, of Jarrow and Margaret Moor(e).

Cheers,
Westoe