Author Topic: Ohio newspaper photo  (Read 1629 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Ohio newspaper photo
« on: Tuesday 23 October 12 04:17 BST (UK) »
I have this newspaper clipping from "The Erie County Reporter" and on the back it says Huron Ohio Volume 86, Number 39 February.  I believe the girl is my grandmother Helen Marian McDonald who graduated Oberlin University, and taught high school in Ohio, but left the state to take up a position with the YWCA in San Antonio, Texas where she met and married my grandfather.   I can name one or two other women who were relatives and schoolteachers in Huron, Ohio but they all lived and died in Huron, a small farming community on the banks of Lake Erie. 

My mother, the remaining survivor of her generation, does not know how this clipping made its way into the family collection she inherited.  I have tried to obtain information on the volume and number of The Erie County Reporter but that newspaper died in the 1950's and I have not found a source on the Web for archives or an index to their issues. 

I have tried a scanner and a digital camera with and without a background of black construction paper but I still do not have a good recording of the image which is quite distinct and legible to my naked eye.  I'd welcome suggestions on how to obtain a superior digital image for preservation in my files.  From the quality and aging of the newsprint I would estimate that the clipping dates from a printing no earlier than the 1920's and it could be as late as the 1930's.  I think the printing process for news papers in the USA in the 1940's, particularly in the case of photos, would have been noticeably better.     Any suggestions for further research?
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline tommyfromri

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio newspaper photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 04:46 BST (UK) »
here is a link to the library of congress site.. they have archives to newspapers ..they have ask a libraian section also.. they have an enormous amount of archives there..maybe that might help in your search.., tommy  http://www.loc.gov/index.html

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 05:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion and the link, Tommy.  I submitted a query.   
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TraceyWoods

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 07:08 BST (UK) »
 :) Tried to clean it up a little for you, hope you don't mind
Woods - Groves - Fisher - Westwell - Fielding - Leigh - Eccles

Offline mahalia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
In case you can't find one this might be a tad better

Cheers

Maureen
Check out my blog site here:

http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

searching for information on Lyonell Fildes - Lancashire area and the Bower/Jacklin family - Middlesex area related to Victor George Bower Jacklin also information relating to Winifred Jacklin nee Clark also William Young Clark and Emily Clarke nee Gristwood from the Surrey area around Chalfont St Giles

Information on Clifford family from Lithgow area of NSW with links to UK
Information on Dobe famil

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 08:20 BST (UK) »

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
one from me

Irene

Just a tip...always scan in color even if its a B/W photo.
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 September 17 15:48 BST (UK) »

My mother, the remaining survivor of her generation, does not know how this clipping made its way into the family collection she inherited.  I have tried to obtain information on the volume and number of The Erie County Reporter but that newspaper died in the 1950's and I have not found a source on the Web for archives or an index to their issues. 

This picture is from a series the Erie County Reporter ran from mid 1962-1965 called "Do You Remember?..."

This particular picture is from the 21 Feb. 1963 edition of the Erie County Reporter.

Link to that edition & Page: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kq0/

Here are few others with school kids and teachers.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kq1/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kq2/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kq3/

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you, RJ137.