Author Topic: KAINA family Waipipi/Waiuku area  (Read 7073 times)

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KAINA family Waipipi/Waiuku area
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Update - George's death record on BDM NZ has now been changed from KaiUa to Kaina at my request, so thanks for the detective work finding it in the first place Beg! Turns out he IS buried in Waipipi Cemetery but his grave is unmarked - probably originally had a wooden marker/cross that has long gone.
So that's got most of my queries solved - thank you all.

The only one remaining is the mystery of Elisabeth/Lissa ...did she actually come with the family on the "Alfred" from South Africa? She would have been 19 so may have married and stayed in SA - or had possibly died there before the family relocated to NZ.  She's not on the ships passenger list - but IS included in the newspaper report of the arrivals! Which would be more likely to be correct, I wonder. Hard to imagine the newspaper including someone who wasn't there, but I've found no record at all of her being in NZ...

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 December 12 03:37 GMT (UK) »
We're back to crazy mis-spellings again! George's burial record for the Waipipi Cemetery shows him as George KINNA !!! It also shows that his was the second burial in that plot... which begs the question - who was the first??? There doesn't seem to be an earlier record (but of course it could be spelled China, or even Cholmondley.... one other researcher suggested that the family was originally Celtic and the correct spelling should be CAONAGH would you believe!)
Anyway - my money is on it being the last resting place of my lost Elisabeth.
She was left off the Passenger List, so there's no reason why she shouldn't be left off the Burial list too!

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 December 12 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Meant to add that I've located the Kaina farm, and Kaina's Corner! (Just in case anyone is interested.)
It was on the northwestern corner of the crossroads of Craig Rd and Oldfield Rd, and the Waddoups' farm was on the northeast corner.
My thanks to all who helped me with this!!

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Re the mystery 'other burial' in the 'KINNA' plot in Waipipi cemetery...

It MAY be George's son - Freidrich, who'd died 18 years earlier. His death is recorded in BDM OnLine ref 1879/4352 so I COULD get a transcription of the death register entry from them... (but being Wendish, I'm loth to spend money getting it solely for the 'place of burial' info - that might not even be recorded anyway.)
Anyone got another suggestion?
(I'm actually hoping the 'other burial' is the elusive step-daughter Elisabeth/Lissa.)

Offline David348

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 November 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I've been researching the Hanlon/Kaina part of my family tree. Ann Aylward (1900-1996) was the daughter of Matilda Waddoups, sister of my great grandmother Mary Elizabeth Waddoups.  Mary's first husband was Frederick Kaina, and after he died, she married Lawrence Hanlon.

I'd be grateful for any information on the sale of Frederick Kaina's farm (known as Kaina's Corner) by John Waddoups to his son-in-law Thomas Aylward and his wife Matilda Waddoups. The farm was at the crossroads of Craig Rd and Oldfield Rd, Waipipi.  Apparently there was a dispute over the farm after John Waddoups died, as Matilda's other sisters (Mary, Harriett, Georgina) weren't mentioned in the will.  According to one of Harriett's descendants, one of the Hanlons took it to court for the other sisters.  I don't intend to re-litigate on behalf of the Hanlons but am just interested in all of this as family history!  I can't find any mention of this court case in Papers Past or elsewhere, so maybe it never happened.

I'd also be interested in any birth info on Matilda and Mary. On 9 July 1858 John Waddoups, Ann Halford, and their daughter Harriet sailed from Liverpool to Cape Town on the Edward Oliver, arrived Table Bay CapeTown 12 September 1858.  On 27 September 1864 John, Ann, and their children Harriet, Mary Elizabeth and Matilda sailed from Cape Town on the Alfred, and arrived in Auckland 18/11/1864.  Mary and Matilda's death certificates stated they were both born in South Africa.  However, I've searched South African websites and been unable to find their birth certificates - just wondering if anyone has these or any other info on this?

Finally I'd be interested to know what what happened to the youngest sister Georgina Waddoups (born in Waipipi in 1867).  Apparently there's a record of her having a baby under her maiden name, no father's name was on the cert.   The family story was that she went to Australia.

many thanks
David Hanlon

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=620886.0
A little more from "Papers Past"
The New Zealand Herald, dated 31.8.1875,
Waiuku Court, "man named Kaina..............etc.,"
Same newspaper dated 4.5.1876,
Land Sale- Frederick Kaina, Parish of Onewhero.

John Waddoups' will 1895 (to son in law Thomas Aylward, husband of Matilda Waddoups)
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Awaddoups~%20%2Bother_year%3A1894-1896~&collection_id=1865481

My tree on Ancestry.com
https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/34552179/family

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 04:21 GMT (UK) »
I've just been given a possible clue regarding my missing Elisabeth KOSSATZ...  It concerns the death in South Africa  of Elizabeth, wife of the late William Frederick ZIMMERMANN (nee KOSSATZ) 18 Nov 1891, born in Germany/Prussia Feb 1845. My Elisabeth may not have come to NZ at all, or came and returned shortly after! How can I go about finding if the Zimmermanns were already married when they emigrated to South Africa (thus proving this isn't my Elisabeth), or where and when they did marry (and see if the dates are a possible fit). As I mentioned earlier, the Departing Passenger List when the 'ALFRED' left SA for NZ did not include Elisabeth, but the Passenger Arrival List here DID! So there was always some doubt.
Any suggestions how to proceed would be welcome!