Author Topic: Mystery Post Card to Master Thomas McKenzie, Selkirk  (Read 14722 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Post Card to Master Thomas McKenzie, Selkirk
« on: Thursday 25 October 12 04:15 BST (UK) »
I found the attached postcard in a box of my father's, from his father.  It was among an envelope of items from my grandfather's grandfather, Thomas McKenzie.  Thomas McKenzie was born 24 July 1848 in Forres, Moray and died 07 February 1925.  The postmark on the post card appears to be 22 July 22.  However, at this time (assuming it to be 1922),Thomas McKenzie would have been at    Sidney House, Nevendon, Wickford, Essex, England.  I have this from a series of letters showing the location, as well as his death certificate. 

Using Photoshop, I was able to bring out the very faded writing:

"Dear Cousin:
I have mailed you a P.C. [post card] so here it is.  I enjoyed my sail (stay) Rothery(?) all you with you but it was a miserable day.  Hope you are all hearing (?) well.  Wish ____ and everything ___ holidays.

Best love from Sue"

I have absolutely no clue who this Thomas is - it could be my Thomas McKenzie, but the location is completely wrong.  He did not have any sons with the name Thomas, but yet this was found among his things.  Further, none of my relatives, as far as I can tell were from the Selkirk region, but were from the North Berwick, East Lothian area or Logierait, Perthshire. 

I am not familiar with the stamps of this time.  I am assuming that it is the U.K.  Can any one provide me with some ideas regarding this postcard - like who is Thomas McKenzie, and why Selkirk?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Post Card to Master Thomas McKenzie, Selkirk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 12 05:40 BST (UK) »
Not knowing the geography, I would read that as the writer spent a day with thomas and family at that address where they were staying on holiday (as you say they were not from Selkirk)

Could this not be the case?  Especially if it's been kept in the family all this time.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
Dont know is this helps, the postcards has been posted to an address in Galashiels not actually Selkirk.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
It is a UK stamp and the postmark is Jy 22 10.  I wasn't sure whether Jy would be January or July but a bit of a google reveals 22nd January 1910 was a Saturday and 22nd July 1910 a Friday.  I think the first word of the correspondence is '(Friday)', therefore most likely written and posted in July I reckon (not that that helps at all really!).

Have you found any relatives named Sue/Susan/Suzanne who could be the cousin?

Heather  :)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
Selkirk on the address would be short for Selkirkshire(County of) I think.
"Master" could refer to someone who is young , which may tie in with the photograph  :-\
(Would an older man be addressed as "Tom" ?)

ev

Added - wonder if "Rothery" is actually Rothesay , Bute ?
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 12 09:54 BST (UK) »

"Dear Cousin:
I have mailed you a P.C. [post card] so here it is.  I enjoyed my sail (stay) Rothery(?) all you with you but it was a miserable day.  Hope you are all hearing (?) well.  Wish ____ and everything ___ holidays.

Best love from Sue"

I think hearing is actually keaping (as spelt)

I agree with the date Jy 22 10.  Trying to decipher where it was posted (round the top of the stamp) but not doing very well!

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 12 09:59 BST (UK) »
This could be where Tom was living/staying

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1106554
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Postmark looks like TARBOLTON (South Ayrshire).

"I enjoyed my sail? to Rothesay"

"..... & Adam ....."

I'm not about the signature being Sue - the second letter looks more like a an 'L' or an uncrossed 'T'.

Anne

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
Is this a family photograph or might it be a stock postcard with just a cute picture of a little lad in his father's boots?  Something that anyone might buy from a gift shop or similar?  The verse on the front of the card seems to indicate this, unless of course the original poster recognises the lad.

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras