Author Topic: coolnasilly - coolnasillagh ?  (Read 6300 times)

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
coolnasilly - coolnasillagh ?
« on: Friday 26 October 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
i have recently found a record in the registry of deeds which i suspect could refer to my gt gt g/parents 'Malcolm Foster and Elizabeth Arnott' [married 3/7/1792 at clones].
i think i need the opinion of someone who has a local knowledge of the surrounding area of Newtown Butler [in case i'm barking up the wrong tree].
the lease, registered 27/1/1816 was for 3/4 of Dernabackey, for the lives of :
                        Malcolm Foster, gent of Coolnasilly, p/o Drumsilly, co Fermanagh
               [wife] Elizabeth
               [son]  John           age 15
               [dau]  Sarah         age 13
                also   John,   resident of Rathmorgan
               [son]  Nethaniel    age 18

i was wondering if Coolnasilly, p/o Drumsilly  could be  Coolnasillagh, Drumsillagh.
and   Rathmorgan  could be  Rathmoran.
or is it perhaps another family in another part of Ireland ?

is it likely that additional usefull info would be on a copy of the origional lease ?

john.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: coolnasilly - coolnasillagh ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 12 05:02 BST (UK) »

If it specifically says Co Fermanagh, then I can't find anything more appropriate than Coolnashillagh and Drumsillagh. Likewise Rathmoran is in the same civil parish as Dernabacky.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
come under parish of Gallon

Coolnasillag

found them but lost them.  looks like they had twins.

http://www.igp-web.com

See: http://www.igp-web.com/fermanagh/Links.htm

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

COOLNASILLAGH, was originally in the parish of Drummully, later it was part of the later formed GALLOON parish, Clones is nearby. Church wise, there is a choice of CoI Churches. Newtown Butler, Aghadrumsee, Lisnaskea, and later Sallaghy, there were also a few local chapels the nearest to Coolnasillagh was Clogh (Later known as Cloghagaddy).

There are references to the Forster family at Coolnasillagh in William Bredin's 1850/51 local census. Also the Galloon Parish registers 1798-1830 & 1830-1844 list this family, they can be found at the Fermanagh Gold website here: http://www.fermanagh-gold.com/

You will find a fair bit of info at Fermanagh Gold for this area, Including lists of the Tithe & Griffiths 1862.

I believe Malcolm had a brother called John who was married to an Elinor Arnott (sister of Elizabeth?). there was an "Arnott" Presence at Cloghagaddy (Just over the fields).

Hope this is of use

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »

If it specifically says Co Fermanagh, then I can't find anything more appropriate than Coolnashillagh and Drumsillagh. Likewise Rathmoran is in the same civil parish as Dernabacky.
              hi gaffy
sorry i did'nt get back to you sooner. just got back from n.wales.    yes,the lease definitely stated fermanagh.
your opinion appreciated.  thanks,
                john.

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
come under parish of Gallon

Coolnasillag

found them but lost them.  looks like they had twins.

http://www.igp-web.com

See: http://www.igp-web.com/fermanagh/Links.htm
                hi rathmore
    before i found the record of the lease, i had got  Malcolm and Elizabeth's children [inc. the twins] from the galloon p/h records-bapts :

James                   31/5/1801             coolnasillagh
             Thos and Marg't        18/9/1803             coolnasillagh
              Catherine                 7/7/ 1805              rathmoran
              Robert                      15/7/1807            coolnasillagh         [my gt g/f]
             William Najoas           16/9/1809           coolnasillagh
             Jane-Anne                  27/2/1812           cloghagaddy
                 mervyn                   8/8 1814             coolnasillagh
                 Eliza                       29/6/1817           coolnasillagh

according to the lease Malcolm and Elizabeth's children were aged 15 and 13 therefore, as the lease was registered  JAN 1816,  John would be b.1800 and Sarah b.1803 which would fit in ok with their possible siblings. [John and Sarah don't appear to be on the galloon bapt.records ?]

that fermanagh website looks very interesting - thanks.
                                  john

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 12 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

COOLNASILLAGH, was originally in the parish of Drummully, later it was part of the later formed GALLOON parish, Clones is nearby. Church wise, there is a choice of CoI Churches. Newtown Butler, Aghadrumsee, Lisnaskea, and later Sallaghy, there were also a few local chapels the nearest to Coolnasillagh was Clogh (Later known as Cloghagaddy).

There are references to the Forster family at Coolnasillagh in William Bredin's 1850/51 local census. Also the Galloon Parish registers 1798-1830 & 1830-1844 list this family, they can be found at the Fermanagh Gold website here: http://www.fermanagh-gold.com/

You will find a fair bit of info at Fermanagh Gold for this area, Including lists of the Tithe & Griffiths 1862.

I believe Malcolm had a brother called John who was married to an Elinor Arnott (sister of Elizabeth?). there was an "Arnott" Presence at Cloghagaddy (Just over the fields).

Hope this is of use

Rusty
     hi rusty
    gratefull for that usefull information.it gives me a clearer perspective now.
sometime ago you assisted me and sent my foster family record from the rev.bredin's census.[a vital result thanks]   
        john.

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 12 22:58 GMT (UK) »

Just in addition to this, the wee church at Cloghagaddy was a Methodist church.  There was also a small church at Ballagh, it was a converted courthouse I believe.  I remember being taken there as a child and took around the back to see the place they hung people!  Always surprised me how you could have a church on the same grounds as place executions took place!  Felt spooky to me!  Ballagh was operated / run by Sallaghy Parish and was in use up to the 90's, but only for special services i.e. Thanksgiving.

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
KDDA

thanks for the input re. Ballagh church.
yes, it does seem an eerie place to use for a church. i wonder if the bodies were interred behind there following execution. i did'nt think they could be buried in consecrated church ground could they? but as a church was established there afterwards, it seems they could have sneaked in through the back door, so to speak [excuse the pun].
if Ballagh church was controlled by Sallaghy Parish, would you know which of their parish records survive and how i could access them? 
                        john.