Author Topic: Haultaufderhyde  (Read 2080 times)

Offline lost1937

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haultaufderhyde
« on: Saturday 27 October 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info on the Haultaufderhyde family. The family were tailors and the records I have found highlight St Mary Abotts church,Kensington. I can only find James Haultaufderhydes family (after his marriage) on the 1851 census but i do know that he moved to Liverpool and changed his name to Hyde.(Have all that info)His father was David and his mother was Frances Price. He had a brother also called David.

Grateful for any help :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Haultaufderhyde
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
I can see a William baptised to a David and Elizabeth in 1820, a David baptised to a David and Frances in 1838, and a James baptised to a Samuel and Phoebe in 1834, all at St Mary Abbots.

David and Frances appear per familysearch to have married in 1830, which seems a bit late for your James who is enumerated as aged 29 in 1851.

Can you give us a bit more information on how you have managed to link your James with David and Frances - have you located baptism records for him? Have you got full details from his marriage?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lost1937

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 12 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
David is a witness on James's marriage record (1843). I presumed they were brothers as I found a death record for a David in 1842 and thought that could be his father. The name just seems to be very elusive. I know that James moved north because he owed money (bankrupt?) and at that point he shortened the name to Hyde. Have got James's marriage details and know the names of their children. Emelia b@1850 marrying a Thorpe.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 12 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Ok have now found the 1843 marriage (Haultdaufterhyde) and the 1822 baptism of James Haltaufterhyde to David and Elizabeth (not Frances). David was an army pensioner.

I don't think you can presume the 1842 death is of James' father as it could just as well be of the David baptised in 1838, unless you have found him later.

There are various Haltaufderhyde (etc) events in the late 1830s (baptisms), a birth of a Lavina in Sep qtr 1841 and the 1842 death and 1843 marriage. Each of these records will give an address. Have you searched the 1841 census by address for each of these addresses from the records you have?

I have seen the bankruptcy records for James from 1869 but they seem to postdate the move north by a decade or so, going by children's birthplaces. Also they give James' name as Haultaufderhyde trading as Hyde, so the change may have been initially just the adoption of a trading name, even if the family did take on the simpler name of Hyde from then on. Unless you have other evidence it seems to me dangerous to assume that the move or the name change were motivated by a desire to evade creditors.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 12 08:12 GMT (UK) »
James is listed as a tailor in 1846 Kelly's - at 3 Bathurst Street, Sussex Square
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 12 08:36 GMT (UK) »

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 October 12 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Here's one from 1807:

Sophia Wilhelmina Haltaufderheided, daur of David and Elizabeth baptised 13 December 1807 at St Mary Abbotts

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 October 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of David Haultaufderhyde and Frances Price at St James' Piccadilly 17 February 1830.

Witness names difficult to read but it looks like Samuel Hidey and Phebe Hidey

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 October 12 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Following up on those 1830 marriage witnesses, in the 1851 census there are is this family:

Brook Green Hammersmith:

Samuel Hidey 67 Tailor Germany
Phoebe Hidey 50 Warwickshire
Emily 22
Louisa  18
James  16
Thomas 14
Maria 12
Samuel 10
Charles 8

The children are all born Kensington. There are corresponding Haltaufderhyde baptisms for several of them