Author Topic: Guy & Co. Ltd. photographers (Cork & Limerick)  (Read 11482 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guy & Co. Ltd. photographers (Cork & Limerick)
« on: Monday 29 October 12 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I have recently acquired a number of old family photos with no names attached, just the logo for the photographer - Guy & Co. Ltd. Does anyone know when this company was around? I would love to trace these photos and identify the people in them.

Thanks,

David

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Guy & Co. Ltd. photographers (Cork & Limerick)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 12 08:54 GMT (UK) »
A quick search on the net shows that Guy's can be traced back to at least 1856 when they started up as booksellers & stationers from this they branched out to become printers, bookbinders, engravers, lithographers & photographers although not necessarily in that order. They can be found trading from 114 George Street Limerick between 1858 to 1902 and from when the street was renamed to O'Connell Street c1902/03 to at least 1914 when they were shown as trading as Guy & Co Ltd, although the firm could have been going on much further but I can not find another date other than 1914. In Cork, Francis Guy had a photographic studio at 70 Patrick's Street from at least 1886 (earliest date that I could find) to (again) at least 1945 (last date that I could find). These premises traded under the name of Guy's Photographic Studio's at one point as from about 1890 all of the business' owned or ran by Guy's came under the one name of Guy & Co.

The above information has been gleaned from various sites and a further search on the net may produce more information.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 12 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Superb work, thanks So much OR! This may help to narrow down my search.

Offline Annette Murphy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
I also have a photo of a couple with the name of Guy & Co Cork and it has a number written on the back of it which lm guessing is the ID of the photo.  does anyone know how I could trace the names of the people on the photo?
Thank you

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Still in Patrick St,Cork 1961/62
search archives here
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

Offline Amhgrooms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I recently just found a picture of a great aunt with this company info on the bottom. If it’s no trouble I would love to see some of the pics you have to see if any are of my family the Ryan’s and Rieleys. They were from Tipperary. 
Thank you
Amanda

Online rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
You could try a local newspaper, were I live in Lancashire about once a week they put old photo in and sometimes ask people to name who is in the photo.

Offline Amhgrooms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 February 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I’m from the US we don’t really have that here.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the people on the Limerick History Gazette could help.
https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-20th-century-photo-archive-of-limerick-is-a-feast-for-history-lovers-727497.html
The link to the facebook page doesn't work but if you put Limerick History Gazette into the search you should be able to find it.