Author Topic: 1883 Shipwreck  (Read 9201 times)

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1883 Shipwreck
« on: Tuesday 30 October 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody give me any information about the sinking of the ship "Nebo" somewhere of the coast of Durban in 1883.  An ancestor, Charles MacNicol, born 1852, from Glasgow, Scotland was drowned when the ship sank on its maiden voyage.
Thank you.
abrach1

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: 1883 Shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

The Nebo sank on the 20th May 1884 on her maiden voyage from Sunderland to Durban, not far off the mouth of the Umkomaas River, on the South Coast, and at the time reported to have  struck an uncharted pinnacle on the Aliwal Shoals, but this pinnacle has not been reported since.   The other scenario was that she was capsized by a large wave as she was carrying a railway bridge weighing some 4500 tons destined for the Amanzimtoti River, and could have possibly been overloaded.  This is the more likely version as she is lying upside down on the Aliwal Shoal.

The survivors, the Captain and crew were picked up off the Aliwal Shoal by the Duart Castle and taken to Durban.  All indications are that there was no loss of life.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck with your search.

The Nebo is lying upside down some 28 meters below sea level.  The wreck has been demolished by strong sea surges over the years, and only the stern remains. Some parts are still recognizable, such as her propellers and boiler. The Aliwal Shoals is a popular dive site and the wreck of the Nebo can be visited.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
  • South Africa Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Some sites decscribe the Nebo as an " old 200(0) ton Steamship" which sunk in May 1884

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
This is an extract from the Eastern Province Herald of Monday, June 2, 1884: Re the Nebo:

"The boat sent ashore, and from the crew of which two were drowned, was sent to communicate with the shore and obtain assistance from Durban.   When the ship wrecked sailors were landed at the Point, and were bewailing the fate of their comrades in the boat, the latter put in an appearance, in a "spider", having landed at the Umkomas River, and been driven down to meet their companions.   Thus, happily, no lives were lost."

Regards
Sandy

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
this is really quite amazing to read the report of the Nebo sinking and that no lives were lost. I have a copy which I obtained from the deaths in the Marine Register in the records office in Edinburgh which gives the deaths of Charles MacNicol aged 32 and Robert Ritchie aged 21 (or it could be 31) in 1883 and the name of the ship "Nebo". It says that both were presumed drowned.
How very strange.
Thank you for your help - I now know a bit more about the sinking of the ship.
abrach1

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
just one point which puzzles me. The reports you found say that the Nebo sunk on 20th May 1884 but the document I have from Edinburgh gives the year as 1883. Maybe this is something I have to clarify from edinburgh.
abrach1

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Your "Nebo" was en route to Bombay via the Suez Canal.   See www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/15126.asp?view=text.

Strange that both with the name "Nebo" were connected to Sunderland in 1883 & 1884.

Regards
Sandy

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It is somewhat confusing, two ships with the same name a year apart, but as can be seen from the wreck report the 1883 "Nebo" never made it through the Suez.  It had me going for a while too.  Would be worthwhile checking which "Nebo" it was.

If they named another ship "Nebo" in 1884 after one disappeared in 1883, tempting fate a bit wouldn't you say?? ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
as you say, very confusing and it would be tempting fate to have two ships a year apart called Nebo.
Thanks for your help.