Author Topic: Marriage look-up 1886 Hungerford. - Completed.  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Roaming Grannie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Marriage look-up 1886 Hungerford. - Completed.
« on: Thursday 01 November 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate a look-up for an 1886 marriage in the Hungerford District Volume 2c Page 423
Groom Oliver Green born 1886 in Bucklebury and Fanny ?? born 1864 in Inkpen.  I think Fanny may be my Great Grandmother Fanny May, but not sure.  Thanks.
Roaming Grannie in Canada
Berkshire     -     Baker, Blundy, Clark, Cooper, Franklin, Hunt, Johnson, Mattingley, May, Talbot, Wallis.
Glamorgan   -     Prosser, James, Mainwaring.
Hereford      -     Goode
Monmouth    -    Gladden, Howell, Mainwaring, Mason, Prosser, Watkins, Wilding.

Carmarthen  -    Mainwaring

Wiltshire       -    Liddiard, Talbot

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look-up 1886 Hungerford.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

To lookup a marriage in the parish records at the records office, you need to know which church it took place in

The Hungerford registration district covered a great many areas

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/hungerford.html

Marriages September qtr 1886 
Oliver Green    Hungerford  2c 423   
Fannie May     Hungerford  2c 423
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 12 08:01 GMT (UK) »
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,621751.msg4705005.

The bride was found to be Fannie May on this thread! And then Oliver and Fannie found in later censuses, showing she was bn Inkpen at about the same time as your Fanny May.

All the evidence was that this is the person you are looking for, but to be sure you will need to purchase the marriage cert to check who her father was etc.

Will be worth it,  I think, as you will either have found your lady, or ruled out this most promising contender. But it needs doing, as it isn't worth trying to find other possibilities for her unless this is ruled out. Unless you are prepared to accept that this is her without the cert.

But I am pretty sure you will find this is her, and then you have found her!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 12 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Roaming Grannie
I agree with lizdb if you want to be in no doubt. However, in 1911 Oliver and Fanny say they have been married 24 years (with 2 children same as in 1891 and 1901) so that ties in with an 1886 marriage.
I have Oliver as a twig way out on my tree so if you should eventually need any background on his family, let me know. I have Fanny tentatively as dau of Job but only the marriage cert will verify.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Roaming Grannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
lizdb & Vicwinann,
Thank you both very much.  I must apologise for not picking up on this sooner, my "Senior Moments" seem to be lasting much longer as time goes by.  Fanny who Married Oliver Green was the Daughter of Job May and Mary Swadling.  She was born about 1862 in Inkpen and I already had that information buried with lots of other things long since discovered.  Obviously, she is not the Fanny May who was my Great Grandmother who was the Daughter of John May & Emma Franklin. 
So I am back to thinking about Fanny May & some Gentleman called Stone in London.  Will have to give this some serious thought, it seems to be another brick wall.
Again, my sincere apologies to all who have tried to help.
RG in Canada
Berkshire     -     Baker, Blundy, Clark, Cooper, Franklin, Hunt, Johnson, Mattingley, May, Talbot, Wallis.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you got that marriage cert then?

In 1881 your Fanny is still with parents in Inkpen ( I just love that name!), and the other Fanny,  dtr of Job, has moved to Hampshire and is a servant there
RG 11 1265 62 5
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Roaming Grannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
lizdb,
No, I don't have the marriage cert. just a note from a friend and at the moment I can't find that note.  I did find Fanny, Dtr. of Job & Mary on the 1881 Census in Hampshire as a Kitchen Maid to a Clergryman and his family. and of course my Fanny was still at home s you menioned, so I think I can be pretty sure she was not the one I was after.  Thanks again.  I will show this  as being completed now.
RG

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look-up 1886 Hungerford. - Completed.
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 12 04:48 GMT (UK) »
hi,
Can I ask how you know that Fanny May 1860 dau of John and Emma is your great grandmother if you don't have her marriage cert for her father's name?

There is no Fanny of any surname born 1860ish Inkpen in any of the following censuses on FindMyPast.  Other than the one married to Oliver Green
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look-up 1886 Hungerford. - Completed.
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Vicwinnan. -  I think this is all on the other thread. Fanny had an illegitimate child who is the ancestor, who was brought up by John and Emma, or something like that!

But - re finding what happened to Fanny, I still can't see how you can rule out the 1886 marriage to Oliver Green.

We know it is ONE of the Fanny Mays from Inkpen, but have absolutely no evidence which one it is!
Seeing as the 'other' one had moved out of the area in 1881, makes me think that it is still a strong possibility that the one marrying there is 'your'  one.

There must be someone on here who would be willing to check Inkpen parish records!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex