Author Topic: George RODGER (1760-1834)  (Read 17567 times)

Offline mighty atom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George RODGER (1760-1834)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 June 14 04:08 BST (UK) »
re House of Brown-George Rodger 1760-1834. My gg grandfather Francis  b 1764 was the brother of George born 1760. Francis married Jane Nicol who lived on Skye before moving to Selkirk. Their son John b Selkirk 9/4/1817was overseer of stock on Norfolk Island during the convict settlement which closed in 1856. John married Bridget Hannah Connors (a children's nanny) on Norfolk Island and their daughter Robina b1853 and son John Henry b 1855 were born on Norfolk Island John Rodger was buried at Forbes NSW (Aust) and his tombstone reads John Rodger a native of Selkirk Scotland.  John Henry is also buried there along with my father James Rodgers b 1887 and uncle John Henry 2nd .I have a book written by Thomas Samuel Stewart :Norfolk Island 1855 waiting for the Pitcairners in which John Rodger is mentioned almost on a daily basis.

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 June 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Mighty Atom and welcome to Roostchat.
Thank you for sharing your family line and I have plotted it on my tree which suggests that we are 4th cousins 2xremoved.  It's interesting that another branch of the tree has found its way to Australia and, when I get a minute, I'll have a good look at the connection.
Regards
Bill. (Adelaide)
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline mighty atom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 June 14 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.How exciting!-I am new at this . I do not know how or why John Rodger became overseer of stock on Norfolk Island and I do not know what siblings he had. Both he and his son John Henry worked as stockman on Burrawang Station near Forbes .Burrawang Stn. was broken up and the home my father, James built at Bedgerabong was part of the station. The name became Rodgers.
John Rodger's wife Bridget was Catholic and did not attend the services given by the Officer in Charge ,T.S.Stewart on Norfolk, much to the  annoyance of the latter. I am curious to know of what religion the Rodger family of Selkirk were. T.S. Stuarts journal is a good read and gives one a good idea of Norfolk Island in those days.
 At the time the journal was written there were only a few people left on the island to care take. The convicts had been removed to Hobart. The book is out of print but is in the National Library of Aust ISBN 0646075010.(pkb)Dewey Number 994 8203. I bought my copy from a second hand book shop ,Barter Books in the UK. Mighty Atom