Author Topic: St Leger Mitchell 1787  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Liz F

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Leger Mitchell 1787
« on: Wednesday 07 December 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a Richard St Leger born 4 March 1787 (according to old family records) - but I can find no trace of his birth record. He went to India and joined one of the Indian regiments, the 15th Hussars, and was living there in 1810 when his eldest son James was born. By this stage he was known as Richard St Leger Mitchell, we believe that Mitchell was his mother's name. His first wife was called Caroline and we don't know if he married her in Ireland or India. We have a substantial family history from 1810 on.
I would appreciate any help in tracing his parents or any other family in Dublin.
Thanks,
Liz

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: St Leger Mitchell 1787
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
It all depends on exactly what the family meant by Dublin - i.e. city centre, suburbs, south county etc... but the very early date is also going to cause a problem, since few parishes have records back that far.

Many records for the city area are available free on www.irishgenealogy.ie , but they do not include most of the county. Records for parts of north and south county Dublin are include on the pay website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.rootsireland.ie

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Liz F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info Shane, but looks like we won't get any further back than we have.

Offline Liz F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James St Leger Mitchell
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 12 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Trying to find out more about James St Leger Mitchell c 1760, married we think to Eleanor O'Neill of Tyrone. They had 5 children, James St L, Richard St Leger born 1787 in Dublin, Charlotte, Mary, and Frances Lucinda born c1799. According to old family letters written between 1894 and 1914 James was Agent and friend to the Earl of Wicklow, he raised his family in Dublin and had a country house near Castle Forward.
His two sons were raised as Protestant and his Daughters as Catholic, educated in a convent.
Son James went to America, Richard to India, Charlotte died young, Mary married and went to America with her husband and family, and Francis Lucinda married Thomas (?) White and they lived in Derry. I have family trees for Richard and Frances Lucinda but no records for the parents, Mary or James.
Not sure where the St Leger name comes in.
Any suggestions or help appreciated.
Thanks,
Liz

Moderator Note : if you have additional clues the might help with existing query, please add these to your topic rather than starting a new one.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi in answer to the question from the post on the other thread

"Has anyone information about a Mitchell family living near Castle Forward from 1750 to 1840?"

I have one name a John Mitchell living at the townland of Drimmay (Drumboy, AllSaints Parish) He was a Tenant on the Castle Forward Estate in 1727, a little earlier than you were looking for, but he may have had descendants also living on the estate, I believe the records for the Estate are held in the National Library of Ireland.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Sue Trosser

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just today started researching the St Leger name in my family tree and it's connection to the Mitchell side of the family in India.  From what I have discovered I assume the name comes from Richard St Leger Mitchell. 

What I am trying to do is make a connection between the St Leger Mitchell's to perhaps the Rev James Ridsdale and it's possible connection to John Mitchell born 1855 and his wife Grace Rose Mitchell nee Scott.

Where I'm getting stuck is the generation of Charles Henry Mitchell and his children. Could he have had a son John or a nephew?

Sue

Offline Liz F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Further to my posting on this family I am still looking! The only new thing I have found is possible baptism record for Mary, daughter of James and Elenor,  on 4 December 1796 at St. Mary's (Pro-Cathedral), Dublin City, where one of the sponsors is William Forward Mitchell - perhaps a brother of James St Leger Mitchell? However I haven't managed to find any other mention of this William and wonder if anyone else has?
Thanks

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
family search

http:/familysearch.org

Catharine Mitchell and Richard St Leger son William Boswell born 1824 christen Madras India

George Smoult Fagon, Spouse Eliza Caroline St Leger, 7.2.1855 Calcutta Bengal father Richard St Leger

Offline Cam1952

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Liz, I can't help with your question, but I am a descendant of Thomas White. Eleanor O'Neill and the name James St. Leger Mitchell, do come up as being in my ancestry,but nothing before then. I'll keep an eye on this thread,should you learn anything.
Cameron in NY.