Author Topic: Looking for 2 lost ships 1826 & 1829  (Read 10067 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 2 lost ships 1826 & 1829
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 March 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
grosjean545, have you looked at this ship list :-

http://www.sashipwrecks.com/WebT.htm

Regards

Malky

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 March 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
grosjean - I should clarify my statement re the SA Commercial Advertiser not being available online - EXTRACTS from this newspaper (transcribed by Sue Mackay) can be viewed at

http://www.eggsa.org/newspapers/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=1&Itemid=2

However, on searching these I did not find the relevant reports on the Harmony.

Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 March 13 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Mole and Malky, for your answer!  :)

Unfortunately, on this list http://www.sashipwrecks.com/WebT.htm, there's no reference about Harmony or Thomas.

Now, I try to find more information about the second ship, coasting brig Thomas. I have got only one reference for her captain (Cape Almanach 1829 on Ancestry24 said Robert Butler), but sometimes, there are some mistakes on Almanach. So I would like to find another one.
I hope it could be a mistake, because I try to find what Richard Butler, captain of the Harmony, did after the loss of his ship.

Sincerely,  :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 March 13 15:24 GMT (UK) »
You have to change the search letter in the search-bar to "H" from "T" to get the information about the Harmony.

http://www.sashipwrecks.com/WebH.htm

Regards

Malky

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 March 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
That's a good link for SA wrecks, Malky - unfortunately no sign of the relevant Thomas wrecked 1829. The Harmony 1826 is certainly listed.

grosjean, you need a friendly researcher to see those SA Commercial Advertiser reports on the Harmony, at least.  The Thomas may also have been reported in the same newspaper but more difficult to find if the ship simply went missing - and no precise date for a report about this.

No guarantees, of course, that Captain R Butler's first name will be mentioned.

Mole

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 March 13 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your answer,  :)

The 'Thomas' left Cape Town about march 24th (1829). First "apprehensions" about her safety about april 1829 and some references in Newspapers about june-july 1829. It's, for now, all I've found online.

I wil try to find someone who can look-up into South African Commercial Advertiser.

Regards.

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 April 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
An article in to-day's Durban paper caught my eye and remembered you were interested in lost ships.
Vanessa Maitland is a Maritime archaeologist in the Durban area and has registered an internet domain where people can share their information. It looks as if it's not quite up and running yet but she is on Linkedin and Facebook. I know Durban is not your area of interest but perhaps she has some information which could help.
The internet site is www.shipwrecks-sa.com and I quote "It will be one big database. Access will be free. The information will be as good as you share."
Hope this will be of use
Gingerbit
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 April 13 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. :)
I will try to contact her, and perhaps, she could help to find more about theses ships.
For now, I found no one to take a look into South African Advertiser about the first one (Harmony) and no more information about the second one (Thomas)... but I keep hope... :)

An article in to-day's Durban paper caught my eye and remembered you were interested in lost ships.
Vanessa Maitland is a Maritime archaeologist in the Durban area and has registered an internet domain where people can share their information. It looks as if it's not quite up and running yet but she is on Linkedin and Facebook. I know Durban is not your area of interest but perhaps she has some information which could help.
The internet site is www.shipwrecks-sa.com and I quote "It will be one big database. Access will be free. The information will be as good as you share."
Hope this will be of use
Gingerbit

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you already have this reference:

The Cape of Good Hope Government Gazette
Friday September 9, 1831

Deaths in Cape Town
Sept 4:  A son of the late Capt. Richard Butler, named Richard Francis, aged 3 years, and 21 days

Regards
Sandy